General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan Not Turning On

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Default Radiator Fan Not Turning On

My car is a 1994 Accord DX

First before I describe the issue, please correct me if I am wrong about any of the following:
1) Coolant switch A (located behind distributor) switches the radiator fan(s)
2) Coolant switch B (located near radiator) switches the condenser fan
3) Radiator fan is drivers side
4) Condenser fan is passenger side

Okay so my issue is that the radiator fan (drivers side) is not coming on. If the engine gets hot or I turn on the AC, only the condenser fan (passenger side) turns on. When I turn off the car, the condenser fan does continue to run like it is suppose to.

Here is what I have done so far:
1) Jumped the connector for coolant switch A. This resulted in turning on only the condenser fan when the engine is on.
2) Wired radiator fan directly to battery voltage. This did spin the fan, so I know its not the radiator fan causing the problem.
3) Visually checked the under hood fuses, and none look blown. However, not having a manual, I'm not sure exactly what fuse I'm looking for. What fuse is for the radiator fan?

My guess is that the problem is the radiator fan relay. Where exactly is this relay, and how do you go about removing it? (I tried to take out one of the underhood relays so I could wire the signal and ground to the battery and listen for the click, but I couldn't figure out how to pull it off... I feel stupid lol)

Thanks, Dave

Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well I call them different but we won't worry with that.

The left/drivers side fan relay is bolted to the "frame" between the left/drivers side headlight and the rad. There are two relays off this "bolt connection" one is the ac compressor relay the other is the cond fan relay....or left/drivers side relay.....you can swap the ac compressor relay with the cond fan relay as a quick test.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

See the funny square in this pic for the location of the two relays I spoke about. It also gives the colors of the wires going to which one.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator Fan Not Turning On-5th-gen-ac-comp-relay-loc.jpg