General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord Transmission issue! Just changed the head/timing chain now this!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord Transmission issue! Just changed the head/timing chain now this!!

Hey guys,

First, Thank you for all the help on this forum.

This Honda will be the death of me. The girlfriends sister borrowed it and ran it dry on oil. I had to change the Timing Chain, and replace the head...Running great after WEEKS of struggle...now the transmission is messing up. Here's the details.

A week ago the car would not shift into 4th gear. We would stop, accelerate, and it would go smoothly through 1st, then second, then 3rd...but not 4th. It would rev way up to 5,000 rpms while driving 60mph.

We got home, I let the car sit overnight and the next day I started it and it was driving just fine! It went through all the gears just fine and shifted perfectly.

Then, about a 100 miles later, I started the car, and when I got on the road it would not shift out of 1st gear. I turned it off, started it and it still wouldn't shift out of 1st gear.

Then I turned it off and it was locked in Parked. I could not get it to shift into Drive. I read up on it, unlocked the shifter, and got it into neutral. I started it up and the Green D on the dash is on when I start then goes off. I did some research and it is NOT blinking green as I drive or start it up. The D comes on when starting, but then goes away and doesn't come back on.

I checked the fluid, it is full, and I ran codes and am getting nothing but 02 sensor. When I start it now and put it into drive it shifts pretty hard into gear. Then when I turn it off, it is locked in parked and I have to unlock it. I can get it started to drive, but it doesn't shift out of 1st gear, just revs way up.

Did some more research. I am thinking the Transmission Shift Solenoid? Am I just hoping I can be this lucky or is the Tranny toast?! Where is the Solenoid located? Please help.

Thank you all!

Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd think you would get a code if the transmission is not shifting properly.

Did you start having transmission problems right after you did the cylinder head and timing chain?

How many miles since you changed the transmission fluid?