General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Steering pushes and pulls as you turn.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Default 2004 Steering pushes and pulls as you turn.

2004 EX 4cyl Auto. SO this is my girlfriends parents car, doing the usual at 90k, but one thing her mom complained about is that when you turn left or right when moving you can feel the power steering pulse or go in or out. Everything is tight joint and bushing wise. When going straight it seems normal and the alignment is dead on. One thing i have noticed is the steering wheel really wants to come back to neutral or center much more than i think it should. I'm thinking the pump is starting to die? Also taking my usual off ramp as fast as i do, the steering really started to feel loose, push pull, in and out. Won't be doing that tomorrow after I searched around and saw all the stuff about the HP hose and people crashing, but it leaks nothing and has a little residue on the resivour and the level is right where it should be. Never found a thread, anywhere, with this symptom. Also found that maybe air is getting in on its own through some bad O-rings? This seems possible, but really?! I work on all the Europeans mostly. Any ideas? And is there a recall kit for these O-rings? I need to go to the dealer to get some ATF anyway.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Faulty oring on PS pump inlet fitting will cause foamy fluid to return to reservoir and moaning noise when steering is moved. Is that happening? If not, the problem may be a faulty steering rack.

good luck

Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Yup, i looked in the resivour after i got off that specific off ramp after a good bit of driving and there were bubbles in the resivour. I saw your post about that with the pic. The whole system is dry and right where that o-ring is looks great! But going in the morning to get that o-ring and some ATF.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Faulty oring on PS pump inlet fitting will cause foamy fluid to return to reservoir and moaning noise when steering is moved. Is that happening? If not, the problem may be a faulty steering rack.

good luck
Ohh and just to make this good for the archives, there is NO moaning. Only the in/out push/pull feeling like the tire has a blister...which it doesn't.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99NYACCORD
But going in the morning to get that o-ring and some ATF.
Oh no, might be too late but please DO NOT put ATF in a Honda PS pump.....please. It may not show up right away but you will have issues.