General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel pulls on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:35 PM
ufoforever
Unregistered
Default Steering wheel pulls on acceleration

I have a 97 Accord SE, and it pulls to the right on acceleration. I can let off the gas and glide or drive a reasonable speed and maintain it @ 1600rpm and the car wont pull at all. It is only on acceleration that the car pulls to the right. It pulls enough to eventually put me in the other lane within maybe 10 or so seconds. I did an inspection of my wheels and it appears that i only have lead weights on the right side of the vehicle, and the left side had one lead weight, but now its just the metal left on that wheel. The ride doesnt seem affected, although I have only had the car a matter of a couple months... Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Steering wheel pulls on acceleration

There is torque steer in most FWD vehicles and it will pull to one side or the other, usually the side with the shorter drive shaft pulls. I guess my question is how bad is it? Once your done accelerating and everything is fine, no wobble or pull, then its probably torque steer. You say you have only had the car a couple of months, has it always done it? Whenever I buy a new vehicle I always get an alignment and the wheels balanced for my own peace of mind.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what the guy above me said...

thankfully my CL type S does not have that problem and neither did my '98 accord V6

Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
ufoforever
Unregistered

It has had this condition since the day i brought it home. I would say on a scale from 1-10, I rate the pull a 4. It doesnt seem to be dangerous, but its noticeable... This sounds like the condition you described. I wasnt sure if I should have a look at the ball joints, but I suppose I should have the tires balanced, and alignment before I jump to more conclusions. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM

if you are unsure if its torque steer then try braking hard at around 40-45mph.
Car will WILL drift if there is anything wrong with the aligment/tire balance.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM

Check your radius rod bushings. One side may be worn/damaged/loose allowing one of the wheels to move foward under power.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 PM

I would also check the engine/trans mounts. Too much movement can make torque steer worse. Had a fwd Chevy that had an upper engine mount bushing going bad. Caused a clunk from D to R but also made torque steer much worse .

Old 09-22-2006, 02:52 AM
ufoforever
Unregistered

What is required to do in order to check the radius rod bushings?

How hard is it to replace motor mounts? and how?

Another thing I noticed was that it doesnt pull as noticably when I drive it in 1st.. though it seems to start pulling in second...

p.s. thanks for the helpful insight.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 AM

wheel balane has nothing to do with a pull..........

bad tire, alignment out of specs, worn suspension parts will cause a pull .....

you might want to switch the frt tires side to side and retry it ,,,,,,,,,,,chk tire pressure as well

Old 10-15-2006, 12:51 AM
ufoforever
Unregistered

-deserthonda--- Flopped the front tires and went on open road to floor the throttle WOT, and didnt seem to pull, or pull as much.... I realize it was last month I posted and got responses, but I just had time after work and a place to do the job. I am going to drive it more and see what happens.. What could be causing that? Any further ideas?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel pulls on acceleration