General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Accord 4 cyl - Excessive Oil Consumption, Rough Idle, CEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Default 2005 Accord 4 cyl - Excessive Oil Consumption, Rough Idle, CEL

Backround: I bought this car less than 6 months ago from a dealership, it only has 98,000 miles on it. 4 cyl auto, it was intended to be my wife's car. Find out a week later is has a bad oil leak. Take it in, they recommend replacing some VTEC timing assembly for around $200. Still leaking oil!

Found out valve cover was leaking oil all over coils and plugs. Check engine light came on, only code was p0304. Replaced valve cover gasket, new NGK plugs and runs ok. Come to find out it is burning nearly a quart of oil every 250 miles! I have changed the oil twice the last 2,000 miles and it is still black. It had been running ok, no big problems besides constantly adding oil (lucky me).

Today, I scanned for a check engine light that came back on last week, it was the same p0304 code. That was the only code. I looked at all the coils, noticed cylinder 4 coil had oil residue around connection to clip. I cleaned it off, switched cylinder 4 ignition coil with cylinder 1. Idled great for 15 minutes.

Drove home today, idle was VERY rough, acceleration was sluggish, and the check engine light flashed the whole time! Scanned when I got home, still only code p0304! I looked at cylinder 4 coil connection and there was more oil in clip. I don't know how oil is getting to that one clip, there is no oil anywhere else.

I bought this car so I wouldn't have to constantly fix things like my previous vehicles, I want to keep faith but I think this may be a bad apple (or lemon). Any thoughts?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Isn't what you want to hear, but take it to nearby Honda dealer for 'new car' inspection.
Don't tell 'em what mechanically you've done, just that it's a new car to you.
You've a host of symptoms, sounds like.

Out my neck of woods they have done that for cheap ($40?) even if it's a 'new used car.'
It'd be worth it at twice the price...

Last edited by UhOh; 11-24-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

A flashing CEL when driving is a bad thing.

Have a pic of this "oil on the coil connector"?

Did the tube seal for #4 get torn during the vc gasket install?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Yes I didn't like the flashing check engine light at all, I'm still not sure why it came on and ran so rough. I was driving to work this morning and it was still flashing and running extremely rough, then finally went away and car ran smooth. It looks like the oil on the coil connector was still left over from valve cover leak. Cleaned it good and haven't seen anymore.

When I got to work, I pulled the #4 plug and the there was oil caked all over the tip. The plug has less than 1000 miles on it. Anyway, I cleaned it up and the car is running smooth again.

My advice to anyone looking to buy an accord or most any car, take the time and pull a spark plug if you have an opportunity. I know it may be extreme, but it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I check all the fluids before buying, oil was right at full mark, didn't smell/see any fresh oil, coolant was good, power steering fluid clean, trans fluid looked nice and red.

I'll keep you all updated if anything changed, right now it looks like I'll have to live with topping off the oil and clearing the check engine light every so often.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Again, when the vc gasket was replaced, is there a chance the tube seal got damaged?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 PM

I replaced the whole VTEC part, it was a little under $100 from Honda. It was just a few bolts and good to go, and I don't believe anything got damaged.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

The car may possibly have worn piston ring(s). A compression test and/or leak down test can be done.