General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Accord EX ABS Light On

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2005 Accord EX ABS Light On

I just replaced the passenger side lower ball joint and CV axle. Now the ABS light is on. I unplugged the orange connector in the engine compartment so I wouldn't mess up the sensor when I removed the knuckle. Did I destroy the sensor when beating on the knuckle with my hammer to get the ball joint out? Can Autozone check for ABS codes to make sure it is the passenger side sensor? Thanks - Lon

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

If you can get the ABS error code that'll help. But you can check a couple simple things...

Any magnetic crud sticking to the sensor?
Is it lined up with the pulser ring on the outer CV joint?
Any damage to the wires for the sensor?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Jim.

After a quick look underneath and finding nothing I just started taking things apart again and found a loose dust cover. The sensor was sheared off. It was a pain to remove as I had to take off the knuckle again and drill out the old dried out sensor.

Its back together and no light yet. I completely cleaned the dust cover and pulser ring. There's a smooth rubber gasket on the wheel bearing that had some scuffs on it that I put a little Permatex gasket maker on to cover the open areas. I smoothed it out as much I could while spinning the hub in the knuckle.

I don't know how the abs sensor works with the pulser ring, dust cover, and this rubber seal on the bearing but the abs light is not on.

Thanks again for the info and let me know if you have any other concerns.

BTW this is my wife's car and the tow truck driver told her that the other side ball joint will probably fail soon and she is worried. I told her to wait and see if she hears or feels some issues. She's still worried. I hate doing ball joints.

Lon

Old 11-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

While driving some more the ABS system starting acting weird and the ABS light came on. It drives fine but can tell that the ABS system doesn't work under hard stops. Any ideas?

I really don't want to tear everything out again to see the same as before.

Any way to disconnect the abs light?

Old 11-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'd check what error code it's throwing NOW. Maybe some unrelated problem, so don't just assume it's the same thing.

I think that rubber "gasket" might be the bearing seal?? If so, it really doesn't have anything to do with the ABS sensor. It keeps dirt out of the bearing. The sensor is just a little magnetic sensor that generates a small pulsing signal whenever some metal parts pass close to it. Like the notches of the pulser ring.

The other ball joint presumably has the same age and service as the one that failed. It's no guarantee, but it's generally true that it's going to wear out also. If you want to wait for it to fail, just be extra vigilant for the early signs of problems. But be aware that if the lower ball joint actually pulls apart, that's a pretty scary thing to happen at 50 mph.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-06-2017 at 11:44 AM.