General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Accord LX Coupe power window up/down Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2005 Accord LX Coupe power window up/down Intermittently

Hi, I have problem with my 2005 Accord LX Coupe power windows. Sometime, when try to roll down the windows(both side, passenger and driver), I heard click sound but no response for both windows, windows stay put. But, then wait for a while, they start working again. It happens daily now, sometime it works, sometime, it doesn't. It seems only for rolling down the windows, roll up seems always working, what is possible issue here? Do I need new master power window control unit? Thx

Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

When you use the switch on the passenger side, does it do the same thing? If not, it may be an issue with the master window master switch (the door multiplex control unit is built in).

Try a a battery cable reset to see if it changes anything. Disconnect the negative cable (disconnect negative first) and then positive cable. Then connect them together with a jumper wire for 15 minutes. -- Do not touch the battery terminals.

You will need the radio security code afterward.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
When you use the switch on the passenger side, does it do the same thing? If not, it may be an issue with the master window master switch (the door multiplex control unit is built in).

Try a a battery cable reset to see if it changes anything. Disconnect the negative cable (disconnect negative first) and then positive cable. Then connect them together with a jumper wire for 15 minutes. -- Do not touch the battery terminals.

You will need the radio security code afterward.
yes, it does the same thing from passenger side switch. I will try to disconnect battery later when back home. Sometime, one window can be rolled up,sometime, the other is working. what does "door multiplex control unit is built in" mean? does it mean if I replace master control unit, I have to replace it as a whole instead of disassembling it and replace some parts? thx

Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

The driver's door multiplex control unit (mcu) is part of the power window master switch. So, yes, if that part was faulty; you would be replacing that part that looks like #3 in this diagram.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Accord LX Coupe power window up/down Intermittently-front-door-lining-466211.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 02:59 PM

My 05 coupe does the same thing. I did change the master switch and it continued. Also, if you listen carefully, you will hear the switch clicking all the time even when you don't try to use the window. I find this especially after I use the brake. It is another electrical quirk of the accord. It does not go away after a new master switch, but the money you spent on one, does.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by fvansan
My 05 coupe does the same thing. I did change the master switch and it continued. Also, if you listen carefully, you will hear the switch clicking all the time even when you don't try to use the window. I find this especially after I use the brake. It is another electrical quirk of the accord. It does not go away after a new master switch, but the money you spent on one, does.
I tried to disconnect battery, problem is still there. Did you replace with new master switch from Honda or used one? I saw a couple postings on ebay. But, not sure I should give it or a try or not since it costs about $139 a piece.

Last edited by wenmang; 10-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM

It was a new OEM Master Switch.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Although your issue is not exactly the same as in this thread, see this thread and connect a jumper wire from cavity 2 (Blk wire) to cavity 3 (white/green wire) at the 23-P connector for the door multiplex control unit and see if the power windows still intermittently won't work. You can also try a jumper wire from cavity 1 (Blk wire) to cavity 3 (white/green wire), instead of cavity 2 to 3.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...working-52178/

If the problem still exist, the problem may be a ground or other wire connection leading to the door multiplex control unit (mcu); or may be further in the circuit, such as at or near the multiplex integrated control unit (micu) which is part of the under-dash fuse/relay box.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Although your issue is not exactly the same as in this thread, see this thread and connect a jumper wire from cavity 2 (Blk wire) to cavity 3 (white/green wire) at the 23-P connector for the door multiplex control unit and see if the power windows still intermittently won't work. You can also try a jumper wire from cavity 1 (Blk wire) to cavity 3 (white/green wire), instead of cavity 2 to 3.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...working-52178/

If the problem still exist, the problem may be a ground or other wire connection leading to the door multiplex control unit (mcu); or may be further in the circuit, such as at or near the multiplex integrated control unit (micu) which is part of the under-dash fuse/relay box.
I have another observation, it seems working fine for all windows when they are on battery(switch is "on" but car is not started). In order to do the test that you suggested, should I start car and keep it running? There is another discussion on the other forum talking about grounding white/green wire, are they talking about the same? Thx.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2746078

Last edited by wenmang; 10-24-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

The car doesn't need to be running, just ignition to ON.

Yes, it is the same Wht/Grn wire.

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord LX Coupe power window up/down Intermittently