General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 accord super sensitive brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Default 2005 accord super sensitive brakes

Got an 05 LX. Until brakes warm up, they are too sensitive. Have seen other complaints about this on-line, but no recommendations on how to fix it. Dealer inspected car and says nothing is wrong.

The situation is intermittent. Looking for someone that has resolved this problem. Thanks

Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Just spoke with another Honda dealer...says they get this complaint all the time about 05's, but there is no current fix. Nice...

Anybody had any luck with thi issue??

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM

The grabby brakes take a little getting used too, but it hasn't been a big deal for me. Do you know if the brake pads and rotors are original (stock)?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM

I can't get used to a safety hazard. This is just plain dangerous.
The car only has 15K miles on it so no work has ever been done to the brakes...all original equipment.

I sent a message to Honda today asking for their input.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 PM

I don't know what your brakes are doing, but how is it dangerous? Maybe you should try another dealership or some other brake shop. You say it is intermittent? So the brakes are not sensitive every day? If the shop can not duplicate the problem, it could be hard to diagnose it.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Imagine you are in heavy traffic and need to brake often as the traffic stops often. When these brakes are acting sensitive, you cannot ease the brakes on. Touch the peddal, and its like throwing out an anchor. Instant and sudden complete stop. Its equivalent to panic breaking - car lurches to a stop and occupants get thrown forward by the momentum. I can forsee getting hit from behind due to inability to "slow" the car down.

I called a couple of local dealers. Both said they hear the complaint all the time about the 05's, but they have no fix, nor do they have instructions from Honda. They wished me luck.

Sometimes the brakes work perfectly. I've owned many honda cars. Never had this issue.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 AM

All I can suggest is to have the brake fluid flushed. If it has never been flushed, it's way past due. It should be done every three years. Be sure to tell the mechanic that it doesn't happen all the time.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM

everyone who has driven my 06 complains about the sensitive brakes.it really is like throwing an anchor. i have to exercise precise toe control to drive the darn thing.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM

appreciate the comments doctorbee. I wasn't aware the 06's accords did the same thing.

This is not a function of brake fluid needing to be flushed. I had an 01 accord with 250 K miles...the fluid was never flushed and the brakes worked perfectly.

My dad bought this 05 brand new, and complained about the issue from day 1 to the dealer. No one is able to determine what the fix is. I will continue to dig until some remedy comes to light.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by doctorbee
everyone who has driven my 06 complains about the sensitive brakes.it really is like throwing an anchor. i have to exercise precise toe control to drive the darn thing.
Originally Posted by doctorbee
wow looks like they made it even harder to replace since the 6th gen

Congrats on the newer car there doctorbee. When did you get that and what did you do with your other Accord?

Last edited by poorman212; 09-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 accord super sensitive brakes