General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Honda Accord EX Starting Problems

Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Default 2005 Honda Accord EX Starting Problems

I recently bought a 2005 Honda Accord EX. The car has been having problems starting up at random times (not just in the morning, but also during other times) but the car seems to runs fine once it starts. No problems with acceleration I had the mechanic check out the battery and the starter and he said those looked okay. Concurrently, a check engine light came on indicating that the O2 sensor was malfunctioning. My mechanic recommended that I switch it off the first time and see if it comes back on again because he said it could just be 'bad gas'. A few weeks alter, the same check engine light came on again and I promptly got it replaced - hoping that it would solve the starting problem too. Unfortunately, the car is still having problems. The mechanic also recommended I purchase fuel system cleaner to clean out the engine. There was some improvement soon after I added the fuel system cleaner but the problem is back again. I'm not too sure what else I should do. I'm considering taking it to a dealership to run some diagnostics.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

When the "starting problems" happen...what is it doing:
1) Starter is spinning the engine but it will not fire up and run.
2) Turn the key and nothing happens.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 AM

Starter is spinning but engine will not fire up and run. Sometimes it sounds like the starter is spinning too slowly..other times it seems to spin fine but the engine still doesn't start =/

Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by egchin4
I recently bought a 2005 Honda Accord EX. The car has been having problems starting up at random times (not just in the morning, but also during other times) but the car seems to runs fine once it starts. No problems with acceleration I had the mechanic check out the battery and the starter and he said those looked okay. Concurrently, a check engine light came on indicating that the O2 sensor was malfunctioning. My mechanic recommended that I switch it off the first time and see if it comes back on again because he said it could just be 'bad gas'. A few weeks alter, the same check engine light came on again and I promptly got it replaced - hoping that it would solve the starting problem too. Unfortunately, the car is still having problems. The mechanic also recommended I purchase fuel system cleaner to clean out the engine. There was some improvement soon after I added the fuel system cleaner but the problem is back again. I'm not too sure what else I should do. I'm considering taking it to a dealership to run some diagnostics.

what was your solution to this problem bc I am having the same issue right now