General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 2.4 L, hit curb, uneven tire wear on both sides of tire

Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Default 2006 2.4 L, hit curb, uneven tire wear on both sides of tire

Slid on snow and hit a curb in parking lot entrance (low speed but hit with a BAM). Now front left tire wears bad on inside and outside. Drives straight without vibration steering wheel shake or excessive pulling. Makes a low thrumming noise, not quite the gravelly grinding you can feel with a bad bearing or hub. I pulled the wheel assembly off and the bearing turns even and smooth. I wanted to replace the hub & bearing before an alignment to eliminate that as an issue. Now I am thinking could it be a lower ball joint, bent lower control arm or tie rod end. Any suggestions before I start pounding out the bearing and hub? The seals on all the bushings are good. I donít have an air hammer to get out or in a ball joint.

Last edited by deisman228; 04-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by deisman228 View Post
Slid on snow and hit a curb in parking lot entrance (low speed but hit with a BAM). Now front left tire wears bad on inside and outside. Drives straight without vibration steering wheel shake or excessive pulling. Makes a low thrumming noise, not quite the gravelly grinding you can feel with a bad bearing or hub. I pulled the wheel assembly off and the bearing turns even and smooth. I wanted to replace the hub & bearing before an alignment to eliminate that as an issue. Now I am thinking could it be a lower ball joint, bent lower control arm or tie rod end. Any suggestions before I start pounding out the bearing and hub? The seals on all the bushings are good. I donít have an air hammer to get out or in a ball joint.
Since it's wearing both edges of the tire, my 1st thought is low tire pressure. A bent tie rod could also cause this, however you're not noticing any pull. A quick way to check the toe in would be using a tape measure on both the front and rear sides across both front tires and see how close both measurements are. Toe in should be about 1/16th in, meaning the front numbers will be less than the rear numbers. I'd do that before digging into tearing everything apart. Who knows, you might find a bent tie rod that way.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 PM

So the thrumming sound was my tire wobbling back and forth. The lower ball joint was shot, but the rubber was not broken & that caused wear on the outside edges of the tire. The wheel must still be true as the steering wheel never shook. I got it all apart from the car, but decided to take it to my mechanic so he could press ball joint out and a new one back in. What I learned is to get your car checked right after hitting anything! Not only did I have to drive out the ABS wheel speed sensor ($75 from Honda) that was stuck, now I will need (2) new tires for the front. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by deisman228 View Post
So the thrumming sound was my tire wobbling back and forth. The lower ball joint was shot, but the rubber was not broken & that caused wear on the outside edges of the tire. The wheel must still be true as the steering wheel never shook. I got it all apart from the car, but decided to take it to my mechanic so he could press ball joint out and a new one back in. What I learned is to get your car checked right after hitting anything! Not only did I have to drive out the ABS wheel speed sensor ($75 from Honda) that was stuck, now I will need (2) new tires for the front. Thanks for the help.
I'm glad you found the problem, and are getting it fixed. I keep forgetting how thin the Honda ball joint really is.
On my own Accord, I replaced hub bearings and ball joints, as they had 234K on them, and the hub bearings were loud. The ball joints were originals too, as they didn't have a snap ring on them like the replacements had.