General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord fuel pump/gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Default 2006 Accord fuel pump/gauge

Hello all.

Last year we purchased a 2006 Accord (LX 2.4L 4 cylinder automatic) with about 65k miles, one owner, clean, no wrecks according to carfax.

There was a leak in the rear windshield and moisture flooded the trunk.

We fixed that and a couple months later the car began to not start after being shut off, intermittently. Shortly thereafter--about two days--it quit starting altogether, and was totally immobile (it still turned over and had battery power).

We determined that it was probably the fuel pump and last weekend replaced that with a brand-new non-factory replacement from Napa.

The car started and ran fine, but since then the fuel gauge does not work. It is stuck in the same spot it was when the car stopped running. We were waiting to deal with that problem and then today the engine light came on. My wife took it to Autozone and they hoooked up the OBD, which is indicating a "fuel evaporative systems leak" [sic?]

So...Actual Question: Now I am planning to re-check the seals and connections on the fuel pump /fuel pump cover in the trunk to see if I can fix the gauge/engine light problem. But installing the fuel pump seemed pretty simple and straightforward when we dropped it in so I'm wondering if anybody here knows off the top of their head if there is something simple I could be missing. I have virtually no experience with Hondas or auto mechanics of any sort and I have browsed the forums but I am only seeing stuff for older models. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If fuel gauge does not move, I suspect somehow you installed fuel pump assy and have the float arm binding where it can't move.

I checked the manual and there is a requirement to reset the system after fuel pump /fuel gauge sender disconnection. Pull the No. 15 (Back Up) fuse for 10 secs and reinstall. Gauge should go to empty w/ power off. Otherwise it may take up to 20 mins to indicate correct fuel level.

good luck