General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to paint a car door.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Default how to paint a car door.

Hello, I got in a bit of an accident a while ago so I had to swap the door with a junkyard one. All went well except they did not have one in my color (HON1003 eucalyptus green pearl) I would like to just DIY paint it, I don't care if it looks good. Is their a tutorial anywhere for this? I can take the door off and lay it down, then I guess you would sand off the color, mask off the colored parts, primer spray it and wait for that to dry, then put on the paint. Can anyone recommend where to buy this paint or have any tips?

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what color you are starting with or the condition of the replacement door.

If the replacement door is in good shape, you should be able to avoid having to put primer down. Wash the door with dish soap an rinse to remove all grease. You would sand the original paint with 320 grit sand paper. Clean with Clean off dust with a solvent like acetone or denatured ethanol. Clean up any residual dust with a tack cloth. Tape any parts of the door you do not want to get the new color. Lay down a few coats of the base color until it covers the original color. Then put a few coats of clear over it.

I had a local auto parts store that would mix aerosol paint cans with my car's color code for the base coat. Duplicolor may still sell your car's paint color in a spray can.

I am sure that you will get many different opinions on how to do this. One key is to spray more light coats and avoid spraying heavy coats of paint. Be patient and take your time when doing this.