General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord, no heating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2006 Accord, no heating

Hello,

I have a 2006 5 speed Accord. The A/C works fine, but I noticed when I turn the temperature dial to heat, it still blows ice cold air. The engine is not overheating.

I was hoping it was the thermostat or one of the heater core tubes. I asked my mechanic and he said he thinks the whole heater core may need to be replaced. Although I'm pretty sure he didn't look very carefully at the problem.

I was able to find what I assume are the heater core hoses going into the firewall. Attached to one of the hoses is what I assume is the heater control valve. There is a metal line that looks like it has rusted off the heater control valve, I assume this is what opens the valve. Can anybody confirm from this picture that this is the heater control valve on a '06 accord? And that the broken cord would cause the heat to not work?

Also, what do you think would be a reasonable price for a heater control valve replacement for a '06 Accord? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Accord, no heating-heat-valve2.jpg  
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Yes, that is a broken heat control valve and it will cause no heat. Do not go back to that "mechanic". Its really not hard to change, if you think you can handle it, just a couple of coolant hoses. If not, its a less then a 1 hour job including topping off coolant.
However one thing you need to check- make sure the cable is moving freely, have someone sit inside the car and go hot to cold and make sure the cable moves in and out-if it does that is good and you only need a heat control valve.
FYI- the valve is a common issue on these cars.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I had someone adjust the control **** inside the car and the cable seems to move freely. I have to look a little closer to make sure theres no was to reattach the cable as is. Then I guess I'll have to consider if I can handle the replacement myself or have someone else do it. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I can't tell from the photo just what's broke - maybe the crank/lever where the cable is supposed to attach? If you can move the valve itself, move the lever, or turn the stub where the lever attaches, see if that gives you heat. Maybe you can get creative with some epoxy glue or wire ties to attach the cable back on.

Otherwise, you're going to spill some anti-freeze. If it were me, I'd use this as an excuse to rinse the cooling system & put all new fresh antifreeze in there. If you don't want to do that, you should have the new valve right there, close & "ready" to make the hose connections quickly. Lose less fluid, but you still have to replace whatever you spill.