General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Honda Accord EX-L V4 - P1028 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Default 2006 Honda Accord EX-L V4 - P1028 problem

Hi,

I have been getting the P1028 problem on my Honda Accord. Took it a local workshop and they replaced the thermostat for $135. Two days later the problem came up again. Took it again to them and they said the coolant temp senor is also gone and replaced it for $95. Two days and $230 later the check engine light has come up again with the same code. Looking for some good advice here. I dont want to take it back to the workshop and spend more money. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know of any V4 engines, its either a V6, or and I4.

There are two temperature sensors on your car. The diagnostics are confusing, because you use the scanner to test the items.

It looks like there are two temperature sensors on your car that are involved. When you have an engine code, the problem can be from the sensors, the wiring, or the engine computer.

I don't know which one they replaced, but I remember reading the the ECT #2 that is on the bottom of the radiator could get corroded and cause problems. It is on the drivers side and the engine side of the radiator. ECT #1 is on the engine block.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I don't know of any V4 engines, its either a V6, or and I4.

There are two temperature sensors on your car. The diagnostics are confusing, because you use the scanner to test the items.

It looks like there are two temperature sensors on your car that are involved. When you have an engine code, the problem can be from the sensors, the wiring, or the engine computer.

I don't know which one they replaced, but I remember reading the the ECT #2 that is on the bottom of the radiator could get corroded and cause problems. It is on the drivers side and the engine side of the radiator. ECT #1 is on the engine block.
Thanks a lot. It is the I4 engine that is on my car. I am not quite sure if they changed ECT #1 or ECT #2. I saw the mechanic replacing the sensor from a distance and it was a pretty simple task. He put his hand somewhere around the middle of the hood while replacing it.

Is the replacement part same for both sensors? Is it something I can take a shot at replacing myself. I don't want to pay $70 labor again to replace a $25 part.

Would there be any pictures available online showing the location of the ECT #2?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

First picture shows waterpump and the ECT#1 is labeled as #14 in the drawing.

Second picture shows the radiator and the #2 sensor in the lower tank is labeled as #10.

Don't forget to check for bad wiring at either sensor. Dirty/loose/corroded pins in the plug? Broken wires? Anything like that?

If you're quick, and prepared to put the new sensor right into the hole when you remove the old sensor, you probably only lose a couple ounces of antifreeze.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Honda Accord EX-L V4 - P1028 problem-2006-i4-waterpump.jpg   2006 Honda Accord EX-L V4 - P1028 problem-2006-i4-radiator.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
First picture shows waterpump and the ECT#1 is labeled as #14 in the drawing.

Second picture shows the radiator and the #2 sensor in the lower tank is labeled as #10.

Don't forget to check for bad wiring at either sensor. Dirty/loose/corroded pins in the plug? Broken wires? Anything like that?

If you're quick, and prepared to put the new sensor right into the hole when you remove the old sensor, you probably only lose a couple ounces of antifreeze.
Thanks a lot. I guess the ECT #1 was changed by the mechanic. I will see if changing ECT #2 helps and look for broken wires, corroded pins etc.

So, both ECT#1 and 2 use the same part. Am I right?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the 2 sensors are the same part, but I'm not 100% sure.