General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 coupe EX4 cyl CrankShaft Position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Default 2008 coupe EX4 cyl CrankShaft Position sensor

I'm from Nor Cal . I have been researching for months now. August of 2015 I had the starter replaced along with the battery. January 31, 2016 The car went in Limp mode Check engine light was blinking and it went no faster than 10mph with out limping. P0339." crankshaft Position sensor "A" circuit intermittent. Mechanic replaced the crank shaft position sensor and was told we need to take it to the dealership so it could be relearned. Took it tow honda dealership service center and was told they have not ever seen this before. We told them that it needed to be relearn or what not so it could run. Few days later they said it was relearned cleared codes and it was good. $160 diagnose fee. Awesome car works!

A month later same thing happened Check engine light was blinking and it now is on limp mode now with p0302 p0303, p0300. Cylinder misfire detected cylinder 3 misfire detected random/multiple cylinder misfire.. Ridiculous. Towed it to the same dealership and they charged us again and said it needed to be reset. Okay Cool. $160 again. Got it out the shop it was running fine. Month later was at work and here it is engine light blinking and it is on limp mode again. Had to have it towed to the nearest honda near my work and the service guy said that the dealership that has been relearning the crank shaft position sensor did not complete the whole module and just did half of it. Awesome $160 charge for them to complete the whole relearn module. This should be the end of it. Great!!

Month later. Check engine light blinking again. Limp mode here were are!! As frustrated as I am I towed it back to the original Dealer. they have all our records and now had the other dealerships record. He made a call to his Tech headquarters or what not and said that first step is to replace the starter. We told him that the starter was replaced already. He then mentioned that there was some starter problem even though the car started fine. Reset all the codes so the car could drive to the private mechanic who changed the starter. Charged me $160 because he spent 5 minutes on the phone with their tech line.

went back to the mechanic and he told me that it made no sense that the starter works fine why would it need to be replace? he did it anyways. Car drove fine home. 3 days later the car engine line is blinking again. My good ness some one help me. Has this happened to anyone?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Just throwing something out there... When you say "A", is there also a "B?

On one of my GM cars, you have to replace A and B crankshaft sensors as pairs. You can't change just one or the other. You have to change both.
On the other hand, you might be able to change just one, but there could be a connection problem, ground problem, bare wire, etc.. with the section on crankshaft sensors.
Another thing... misfires can be cause by bad ignition coil.

I don't know about 2008 Honda (my daughter has a '98), but if yours has a A and B, then you might look into whether you have to change both or not.

NOTE: I can't see changing the starter being the problem, unless something was bumped and damaged while replacing it. The starter itself is unlikely to be the problem.

Last edited by rockhoundrob; 06-01-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM

I'm not sure if there is B" But hopefully Honda figure their stuff out... Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Just throwing something out there... When you say "A", is there also a "B?

On one of my GM cars, you have to replace A and B crankshaft sensors as pairs. You can't change just one or the other. You have to change both.
On the other hand, you might be able to change just one, but there could be a connection problem, ground problem, bare wire, etc.. with the section on crankshaft sensors.
Another thing... misfires can be cause by bad ignition coil.

I don't know about 2008 Honda (my daughter has a '98), but if yours has a A and B, then you might look into whether you have to change both or not.

NOTE: I can't see changing the starter being the problem, unless something was bumped and damaged while replacing it. The starter itself is unlikely to be the problem.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

What were the codes after you got the random misfire codes? Seems like the dealership service people are missing something in diagnosing the problem.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:12 PM
cj1
Newest Of Newbies

Find an auto electric diagnostic person that will take the time to recreate the intermittent .
While observing signals he can mechanically stress the circuits looking for possible glitches in the signal.
In addition he would access the computer freeze frame data to help determine under what conditions error code is being set.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Same codes over and over again! ridiculous right?

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What were the codes after you got the random misfire codes? Seems like the dealership service people are missing something in diagnosing the problem.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Where would one find this auto elctric diagnostic person?

Originally Posted by cj1
Find an auto electric diagnostic person that will take the time to recreate the intermittent .
While observing signals he can mechanically stress the circuits looking for possible glitches in the signal.
In addition he would access the computer freeze frame data to help determine under what conditions error code is being set.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

1. Was the battery and battery cables checked?

2. When was the battery last changed?

3. Check with the dealer to see if the PCM's software was ever updated.

See attached service bulletin.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A09-050.pdf (80.2 KB, 3618 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM

Battery was changed 8 months ago but they did mention battery was low .

Dealer wanted to change the starter .. Would the code go away if we replaced the battery? What is pcm? There was something reprogrammed .. Thanks for the input !!

QUOTE=redbull-1;369437]1. Was the battery and battery cables checked?

2. When was the battery last changed?

3. Check with the dealer to see if the PCM's software was ever updated.

See attached service bulletin.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

The battery should not have been low under normal conditions. If the battery is 8 months old, it should still be under warranty, have it and the cables checked out.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is the car's computer.

Quick Reply: 2008 coupe EX4 cyl CrankShaft Position sensor