General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 EX-L Battery/Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
pilotede320
Unregistered
Default 2008 EX-L Battery/Charging problems

Quite frustrated that the battery couldn't hold a charge. Dealership has checked everything and confirmed battery and alternator meet specs. Unfortunately, have required 8 boots in past year. Its minus 25 degrees now and against the dealer's advice I installed a larger battery about 700CCA versus the honda 400CCA.

Can now smell a burning smell...how badly have I messed things up...is the alternator about to go?

Last edited by pilotede320; 12-16-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why didn't you take it to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty?

EDIT: Once a car has been back for the same problem 3 times, it's a Lemon under the US Lemon law.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

Installing a battery with a higher CCA, shouldn't do anything bad. When installing a battery, you'd want to go higher in CCA, and not lower (than stock), as you might not have enough to crank over your vehicle. You mention that they checked the Battery, and Alt, but did they check the Starter (current draw), etc? As for the burning smell, maybe a short, and/ or the alternator putting out too much current (but alternator check should have diagnosed this)?

When it does't start, do the headlights come on bright, and/or interior components (seem to be fine)? Also, what exactly does it do (clicking noise from starter, relay clicking, does the motor try to bump over)?

I'd take it to Autozone (free of charge), or somewhere else, and have them check the Starting/Charging System. Check all connections (Ground wires, Alternator connections, Starter connections, etc), how do the battery connectors look?

I had intermittent starting problems on my 97 accord, and all I had to do was wiggle the starter wire (little wire), and it would start (it was a push on connection, probably just a little corrosion). g/l sos

Last edited by sosaman; 12-16-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM

car is still under warranty do not alter any parts from what it is called for or it will void the warranty,,,,,,,,,
dealer should take care of this issue ...did they test for a voltage drain ???

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Does the new battery fit properly in the existing hold downs ?

Last edited by kris_loehr; 12-20-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
pilotede320
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
Why didn't you take it to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty?

EDIT: Once a car has been back for the same problem 3 times, it's a Lemon under the US Lemon law.
Nice law, unfortunately Canadian consumers don't get the same protection.

The dealer would not do anything. Why does Honda install such small batteries? 400 CCA.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
pilotede320
Unregistered

Originally Posted by sosaman
Installing a battery with a higher CCA, shouldn't do anything bad. When installing a battery, you'd want to go higher in CCA, and not lower (than stock), as you might not have enough to crank over your vehicle. You mention that they checked the Battery, and Alt, but did they check the Starter (current draw), etc? As for the burning smell, maybe a short, and/ or the alternator putting out too much current (but alternator check should have diagnosed this)?

When it does't start, do the headlights come on bright, and/or interior components (seem to be fine)? Also, what exactly does it do (clicking noise from starter, relay clicking, does the motor try to bump over)?

I'd take it to Autozone (free of charge), or somewhere else, and have them check the Starting/Charging System. Check all connections (Ground wires, Alternator connections, Starter connections, etc), how do the battery connectors look?

I had intermittent starting problems on my 97 accord, and all I had to do was wiggle the starter wire (little wire), and it would start (it was a push on connection, probably just a little corrosion). g/l sos
It is working fine with the larger battery. No more burning smells either.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM
pilotede320
Unregistered

Originally Posted by deserthonda
car is still under warranty do not alter any parts from what it is called for or it will void the warranty,,,,,,,,,
dealer should take care of this issue ...did they test for a voltage drain ???
Everything tested. I realize changing the battery voids the battery warranty and may void the alternator battery if the alternator has to work harder to charge a larger battery. Am hoping the alternator can handle the larger battery. Unfortunately, the little battery just can't handle the colder temperatures we have in Edmonton....should have moved to Phoenix!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
pilotede320
Unregistered

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
Does the new batter fit properly in the existing hold downs ?
Perfect fit. Don't understand why Honda would design the car to hold a larger battery and then stick a smaller one in? Was it cost or performance or ?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pilotede320
Everything tested. I realize changing the battery voids the battery warranty and may void the alternator battery if the alternator has to work harder to charge a larger battery. Am hoping the alternator can handle the larger battery. Unfortunately, the little battery just can't handle the colder temperatures we have in Edmonton....should have moved to Phoenix!
Take note of this, my daughter lives in Phoenix and i put in a battery with 200 more CCA than it came with..the 100 to 125 degree temp is just as hard as the cold weather when she lived at home..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails 2008 EX-L Battery/Charging problems-christmas_tree_06.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2008 EX-L Battery/Charging problems