General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Honda Accord Issues? or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default brakes?

Originally Posted by toddk63
I am thinking of buying a 2008 or newer Accord. I heard rumors of these very issues you speak of...brakes wearing out quickly and noisy. I also heard from one guy that a brake job on these newer Accords requires both pads and rotors to be replaced. Does that have any truth to it? That could make for very expensive brake jobs (which I do myself). Is the noise really a deal killer. We are going to test drive one tomorrow.

Thanks,

Todd K.
Todd - I have not heard of that and yes, that would be an expensive brake job. I do know the stock tires wear out pretty fast. I will not be using those types of tires again because they're too expensive AND they don't last. Tread life is only rated at 300. I like to stay in the 450+ tread life. There is no mileage warranty on these stock tires either.

Aside from that this is a VERY nice care. I have owned Accords in the past and was always pleased with them aside from the front rotors always warping. My '96 accord needed to have the rotors shaved on the car, not sure about the '08's.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
toddk63
Unregistered

Originally Posted by rgcary
Todd - I have not heard of that and yes, that would be an expensive brake job.
Have a look at www.carcomplaints.com (AutoBeef). I am now convinced that the rear brakes on the 2008 - 2010 Accord are major design flaw. Apparently in 2008, Honda went to disk brakes on the rear and undersized them. Thus the frequent requirement to replace them. There are no "complaints" on the 2010, but it is probably too early for those folks to have problems. However, I found an Ebay add for "Accord brake pads, fits 2008 to 2010", which tells me 2010 has same old crappy design as 08 and 09. Accord is off my list now. Considering Honda CRV or Toyota Camry.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default brakes

Originally Posted by toddk63
Have a look at www.carcomplaints.com (AutoBeef). I am now convinced that the rear brakes on the 2008 - 2010 Accord are major design flaw. Apparently in 2008, Honda went to disk brakes on the rear and undersized them. Thus the frequent requirement to replace them. There are no "complaints" on the 2010, but it is probably too early for those folks to have problems. However, I found an Ebay add for "Accord brake pads, fits 2008 to 2010", which tells me 2010 has same old crappy design as 08 and 09. Accord is off my list now. Considering Honda CRV or Toyota Camry.
Even so, let's say you need to put brakes on the back of the car and rotors. What car does not need this? There are upgrades you can use, such as drilled, etc. that can improve the brake performace. On top of this, check out Consumer Reports and you'll see that Honda is a top buy. Camry on the other hand for '08 is not recommended to buy based on CR. I was shocked, but they have it listed.

Best wishes in your choice!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:07 PM
tedmets
Unregistered

I just bought an '09 EXL and I can't believe how noisy it is! Lots of road noise that varies depending on the type of road surface your driving on. Went to the tire dealer thinking it was the tires (Michelin pilots) but he said they were good tires. One post recommended putting Dynomat extreme and Dynaliner down under the carpet and trunk mat but the Dynomat extreme costs $600 plus $140 for the liner. Maybe undercoating the car would help. Has anyone tried that?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

On the 08 there are Honda technical services bulletins(TSB) for a glove box and rear package tray rattle along with a package tray rattle from bass of the radio. Many people are reporting rear pads having a very short life but I did not see a Honda technical services bulletin for the pads. Manufactures send TSBs to dealerships when a solution to a problem is found or even how to perform the repair.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM

First let me say I am a Honda flag waving fan, however I am disappointed with my 2008 Accord LX 4 door which happens to be the first new Honda I have owned. Over the years I have had 6 other Honda cars that I bought used with very few problems which is why I am such a Honda fan. All that being said on the 08 I am about to put my second set of rear pads on a 50K mile car which is absolutly rediculus. I have replaced the rear door lock actuator on the drivers side and now the passengers side rear needs the same. I also recently get a "see dealer for repair" message on the factory radio when I try to use the cd player. Maintenace and care have always been done in a timley matter and the car has been well taken care of as I am a 40 year old family man with 2 children and most of the miles on the car are highway miles. The car has never been abused in any way. As I said I am very disappointed with this 08 accord. I would have expected more from a new Honda considering the success I have had with older used Honda Accords. I must admit my next car may not be a Honda.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM

09 accord LX-P Cloth seats are horribly uncomfortable on lower back due to the active head rest mechanism. Disconnecting it helps, but had to add padding to further reduce the problem.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have an 08 exl 4 cyl. had to replace rear pads at 30,000 miles and did not even resurface the rotors and no problems on that yet. now at 50,000 miles I have a right rear hub bearing going bad. no play in the bearing just a humming- rumble at 30 mph and on up. I think this first year redesign is having more problems than any honda I ever heard of. it does drive great and we have not had the other noise issues. this is our first honda and we bought it brand new. I am a little disappointed with the rear pads and now a hub going bad with fairly low miles. I can do the maintenance myself so that helps money wise. I would be a lot madder if I had to pay honda for these repairs. overall it has been a great car so far.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I have an '09 Accord EXL V6 and it runs and sounds fine. The noise in the rear deck is all over the internet on the '08's maybe Honda did something about it in 2009, not sure. Over all my car is very tight and rattle free. Can't speak of the brake wear yet as I have 13,500 miles on it. It is rather noisy on the highway but nothing I can't live without. All in all I'm happy with my purchase. Also, between when this thread was started through today I wonder how happy Toyota owners are! I'd purchase my car again but we'll have to wait and see how it does down the road. Honda has an awesome name and reputation I'm surprised at all these complaints. For what it's worth the latest consumer reports LOVES the 2009 V6 model.

Last edited by dgp1961; 03-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Well, there's LOTS of cars (including your Accords, my Civics, & my newer Saab) that have motorized throttles, so I'm watching the Toyota stuff to see if anything generic comes out of it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Honda Accord Issues? or normal?