General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Honda Accord Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2008 Honda Accord Oil Consumption

I did try to find an answer before posting this thread, so I apologize if this is upteenth time any of you have read a post similar to mine.

I have a 5 speed manual 2008 Honda Accord with the 190hp 2.4L engine. There is currently 73,000 miles on the car. When the car had 39,000 miles on it, the engine started showing signs of noticeable oil consumption. I've taken the car to two different dealerships, both of which had me perform the Excessive Oil Consumption test. Both times Honda acknowledged that the Accord is burning oil, but Honda does not consider it enough to be considered problematic.

On a side note, I also have in my family a 2004 V6 Honda Accord and a 2006 4-Cylinder Honda CRV. Neither car ever shows any signs of oil consumption.

Honda claims that adding up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is acceptable. Environmentally I see many problems with the constant need to add oil, but that's another issue within itself. Regardless, my 2008 Accord does consume about that much.

Other than a potential decrease in MPG (CAFE), would I damage my engine if I were to switch from 5w20 to 5w30 in an attempt to decrease the amount of oil my engine burns?

If climate is a consideration in your response, I live in Southern California.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!
stu

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It won't hurt to try a different viscosity and see if it helps. I'm doubtful as viscosity at temperture is not very different.

Any chance car is leaking oil?

Does car smoke? It should at 1qt/1000 miles. When does it smoke? Heavy acceleration or great puffs upon starting after a prolonged idle? Also may see small puffs of smoke during an extended idle. First indicates rings bypassing oil, while 2nd and 3rd symptoms indicate valve stem seals (repairable).

good luck

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My Honda was burning around 1 quart per 1,000 miles until I changed the PCV valve.

Now it burns none at all.

It is a $3.00 part - I suggest you change it and see if it helps.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

TexasHonda: A lot of good questions, so let me provide a very general response. The car is definitely burning and not leaking oil. I can't tell you when the car does and doesn't smoke. It definitely smokes in the morning, but most cars do on a cool morning. Two honda mechanics looked over the engine and cannot find anything mechanically wrong.

Crisp in: I took your advice and replaced the PCV Valve, so we'll see.*

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM

i've been combing a few honda forums trying to troubleshoot this exact same issue with my girlfriend's car.
what is weird, is we are experiencing the exact same circumstances as the op.
-this started happening at similar miles
-08 accord, well maintained
-car is consuming a quart about every 1,000 miles.

i'm on several forums for my bmw and rock crawler, and have a pretty good knowledge of automobiles. this car is not leaking or operating improperly, nor have i seen any indications of blue/gray smoke out of the tailpipe. just a low reading on a dipstick after about 1,000 miles.

Originally Posted by crispin
My Honda was burning around 1 quart per 1,000 miles until I changed the PCV valve.

Now it burns none at all.

It is a $3.00 part - I suggest you change it and see if it helps.
is there a DIY on this?

thanks guys

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

RoastbeefMike: I just had an oil change last weekend, so it's too early to tell if going from 5w20 to 5w30 resolved the issue. The mechanic I worked with thought changing the viscosity was a good idea. I'll respond over the next few weeks to see if the problem had been corrected. Just replacing the pcv valve alone did not help.

Stu

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM

You really do not need a DYI on it - it is on the top of the Valve cover, pull it out of the valve cover, pull it off the vacuum line that it is attached to.

Replace with new one. Takes all of 1 minute to do.

I still haven't burned a drop of oil since replacing mine a few months ago.

Originally Posted by roastbeefmike
i've been combing a few honda forums trying to troubleshoot this exact same issue with my girlfriend's car.
what is weird, is we are experiencing the exact same circumstances as the op.
-this started happening at similar miles
-08 accord, well maintained
-car is consuming a quart about every 1,000 miles.

i'm on several forums for my bmw and rock crawler, and have a pretty good knowledge of automobiles. this car is not leaking or operating improperly, nor have i seen any indications of blue/gray smoke out of the tailpipe. just a low reading on a dipstick after about 1,000 miles.

is there a DIY on this?

thanks guys

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by stu788
RoastbeefMike: I just had an oil change last weekend, so it's too early to tell if going from 5w20 to 5w30 resolved the issue. The mechanic I worked with thought changing the viscosity was a good idea. I'll respond over the next few weeks to see if the problem had been corrected. Just replacing the pcv valve alone did not help.

Stu
thanks.
i did a lot of research and reading last night, and everything is pointing to the vct actuator subsequently not allowing the piston rings to heat up properly and causing damage to them, which results in oil consumption.

i'll try the $5 pcv valve replacement, but if that doesn't fix it, she'll probably dump the car. i'm sure a couple years of burning oil is going to cause the cats to go bad prematurely, not to mention the engine internals.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

The pcv valve on a 2008 Accord is different than on 1997 Accord. The pcv valve on a 8th generation Accord is metal, located differently and screwed in.

The oil consumption most likely has nothing to do with the pcv valve on the 2008. Regardless, is the 2008 Accord a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The pcv valve on a 2008 Accord is different than on 1997 Accord. The pcv valve on a 8th generation Accord is metal, located differently and screwed in.

The oil consumption most likely has nothing to do with the pcv valve on the 2008. Regardless, is the 2008 Accord a 4 or 6 cylinder?
Ok I did not know that.
Do you know what generation it was changed from the old style?

Quick Reply: 2008 Honda Accord Oil Consumption