General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Honda Accord Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think even at 1 quart per 1500 miles, it's not likely to screw up your catalytic converter.

Misfiring is one thing that would cause some vibration in the car.

Spark plugs are inexpensive & easy to change. Seeing the firing tip can help you decide what's happening. Google for some photos of spark plug tips under different conditions - they can tell you a lot about the health of your engine. Don't be overly panicked when you look at them, if you really don't know how old they are.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 AM

I thought we we pretty much covered this on already. But here we go again:

Just wanted to update everyone on the forum concerning the Class Action lawsuit settlement concerning oil consumption.

There were 2 cases filed against honda for excessive oil consumption. The one case involves the V6 engine found in the following vehicles:

2008–10 Accord V6 A/T – ALL
2011 Accord V6 A/T – SOME
2010 Accord Crosstour – ALL
2011 Accord Crosstour 2WD – SOME
2011 Accord Crosstour 4WD – SOME
2008–10 Odyssey EX-L, Touring - ALL
2011 Odyssey – SOME
2009–10 Pilot – ALL
2011 Pilot 2WD – SOME
2011 Pilot 4WD – SOME

That case involved extreme engine misfiring and excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on this particular case: Excessive Oil Consumption in Honda Engines | HondaProblems.com

The second case involved the accord 2.5 liter engine (2008-2010) and only had to do with excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on that particular case: Honda Accord Oil Defect Class Action Lawsuit

Both cases merged together as one.

The settlement is as follows. Anyone with the misfire issue from the v6 will get reimbursed for their repairs and have their warranties extended to eight years. In order to receive that claim, they gave up their rights to any excessive oil consumption claim. No action will be taken for the 4 cylinder engines since they didn't experience the misfire issue. The lawyers could not find an industry standard that specified what the term "excessive oil consumption" amounts to.

Conclusion: Anyone with the 2008-2010 4 cylinder 2.5 accord will not have any legal recourse regarding this issue. they could not find a "expert" to place a value on what would be considered "excessive" consumption.

As you can probably tell, i've been somewhat involved since my 2008 with 62,000 miles on it is eating 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles driven. Dealer was telling me everything is "A OK" (frigin unbelievable. They should be ashamed). I figured i'd pass on this knowledge to everyone else who may be experiencing similar issues.

I dumped mine ASAP. the idea of not being able to go from oil change to oil change without already replacing all the oil in the vehicle was simply too much to bear.

GreyGoose

Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Greygoose
Conclusion: Anyone with the 2008-2010 4 cylinder 2.5 accord will not have any legal recourse regarding this issue. they could not find a "expert" to place a value on what would be considered "excessive" consumption.
I guess when I finally got rid of my Honda I stopped paying attention to the oil consumption issue. I had no idea that owners of the 2008 4 Cylinder had no legal recourse. Even more now I appreciate everything Norm Reeves Honda of Cerritos did to help me. They only charged me $136.00 for a car rental and not the thousands it cost to resurface the heads, replace the piston rings, replace the guides and gasket. I got lucky I guess.

The good news is that the Honda never burned a drop of oil after all that work and I ended up getting rid of it about 60,000 miles later for a 2015 Mazda CX-5. My fiance did not want to learn how to drive a stick, so the car had to go. It's cool. The CX-5 is a great car that runs well and is fun to drive.

Even with all of that aggravation I still really liked that Honda. I still consider that year one of the best looking Accords Honda has ever produced, but that's just my opinion of course.

Anyway, good luck to all of you!

stu