General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 97 Accord oil consumption

Bought a 97 Accord, 2.2 liter a few months ago. I did have the timing belt, pump, and seals replaced.

The engine leaks no oil, but is a quart low after about 1000 miles. I guess it is burning some oil but I see no smoke from the exhaust when I start the car or when it is running.

My question is would you just put a qt of oil in every 1000 miles, or maybe try an additive to possibly help rings, valve guide seals reduce leakage.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 97 Accord oil consumption

Does the valve cover say VTEC on it? VTEC has been known to use more oil, depending on how often the engine is using it.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

finch,

It is the non-vtech engine, just the 2.2 liter.

I also replaced the valve cover gasket and upper spark plug seals a few months ago due to oil in the plug holes.

Just trying to figure if there is a good additive to try that might reduce oil consumption.

J

Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Leaks are the most likely reason for loss of oil, although 1 qt/1000 is not something to stay awake worrying over. Potential sources of oil leaks are roughly in order of liklihood:

1) Distributor/camshaft oring seal - Seal on the distributor key end blocks oil from cylinder head escaping. All will leak w/ 5-6 years of age.

2)Valve cover gasket - leaks around edges or ends. If old, this is a likely oil leak source. There are spark plug seals that come w/ the valve cover gasket that should also be replaced.

3) rear balance shaft/oil pump cover - This cover has an o-ring seal that gets hard w/ age and you will notice a leak from the low end of the lower timing belt cover.

4) oil pressure switch - A rubber sleeve covers the oil pressure switch and oil can eventually make it's way past internal seals and push through the rubber sleeve.

5) Vtec pressure switch and solenoid valve - I've had this leak on my Vtec.

6) Oil pan gasket - These will leak, but can usually be sealed by retightening the pan bolts. Don't overtighten and strip the bolt threads!

Oil actually being consumed at 1qt/1000 should show on the spark plugs as carbon buildup. My only experience w/ oil passing valve stem seals was on a Mitsubishi V6. It would start to puff oil smoke after a prolonged idle w/ fully warmed engine, and a large billow of oil smoke would erupt when you accelerated after a long idle.

good luck