General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 honda accord v6 caliper trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Default 2008 honda accord v6 caliper trouble

When I was changing my rear breaks, it was almost impossible to turn the piston? (I believe I'm not to good with cars I just changed my spark plugs on my own for the first time today) i could barley turn it back in. I also noticed when going 50-65 mph when I break, once I get to around 10-20 the car shakes or trembles a little bit,I feel like I may have also noticed a slight VERY SLIGHT pull at this time towards the right or left. I'm going to take a guess I need to change the caliper ? I want to do this myself and I want to use the correct parts (oem?)and have everything I need as in tools, parts etc that I need. Please helpp

Old 01-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

1. The rear brake caliper piston on the early 8th generation Accords can be somewhat difficult to turn. I found it a little easier to turn with some inward pressure. If it can be turned, there isn't really any need to spend money to replace them.

2. The vibration when braking at higher speeds is due to the front rotors. (Relatively common on many Hondas.) They should be either turned or replaced.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. The rear brake caliper piston on the early 8th generation Accords can be somewhat difficult to turn. I found it a little easier to turn with some inward pressure. If it can be turned, there isn't really any need to spend money to replace them.

2. The vibration when braking at higher speeds is due to the front rotors. (Relatively common on many Hondas.) They should be either turned or replaced.
What do you mean by turned ? I was planning on doing my friend breaks next weekend, how would I know by looking at them if they need to be turned or even replaced? Thank you for the reply

Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

If the rotor is within service limits, the rotor can be resurfaced/refinished, where some material is removed to make the rotor true.

You normally can't see with the naked eye if the rotor needs to be turned or replaced. There are various tools that can be use to measure the disc runout. -- But, for a DIYers, generally, not worth spending the money on this tool. The vibration when braking from higher speeds is usually due to warped front rotors.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

You can isolate (or rule out) the rear rotors as the source of the vibration, by pulling the handbrake as you're driving. If that causes the shaking, then it's the rear rotors doing that. Most likely it's the front, but easy to check.

Call repair shops about resurfacing the rotors. There's a minimum thickness - the shop will measure your rotors & they're supposed to refuse to do the work if it will result in them becoming too thin.

Last time I did this on a daughter's Civic, the cost of resurfacing was almost the same as a set of new rotors.