General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 accord 6spd. whine noise

Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2009 accord 6spd. whine noise

hi:

I have had this noise since I purchased my car new,in June 2009. I'm posting now because its an insignificant noise (i hope) and just wanted to see if anyone else has it. I have a 6 cyl, 6spd '09 Accord. I would think that this might only pertain to the 6 cyl, 6 spd of an '08, '09 or '10 model year.

When driving on the highway at 55 or faster I hear what I will describe as a low whine noise when stepping on the gas. Its hardly noticable so you have to almost try to hear it. But once you do hear it, it can actually be annoying. Make sure the interior cabin is a quiet as you can get it. No radio fans on etc. While you have your foot on the gas pedal at a steady rate remove your foot just enough so she's not getting gas, then give it gas again etc etc. Everytime I just give it that steady gas I hear this whine.

My buddy was the first to notice it cause he was in the car on a long trip and we were talking and I usually have the Ipod on. During those quiet times when no one spoke he pointed it out. He thought it was transmission related. I feel it might be fuel related. In either case we don't feel its a problem, just a tiny annoyance. I'm posting just to see if its just my car or others hear it in their vehicles as well before I take it to the dealer. I don't believe a $30k car should have the noise. Regards...

Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default any body??

anybody??
Probably lack of response might be that honda probably sells less 6spd, 6cyl than any other model. well I hope at least someone responds that has this vehicle. regards...

Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a 6-speed. But someone on here had complained about rough shifting in his. Not whining... ??

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Its hard to diagnose noises online.

The tires or the accessory belts are the first things that come to mind. Rotate tires to see if the sound goes away.

Also check that the brake pads aren't worn out. I read complaints that the rear honda pads wore down quickly.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default plz read my text C a r e f u l l y

thanks for the replies. Moderator, yes noises are hard to diagnose in a forum. but if you read my text carefully you would understand this has nothing to do with tires or brakes. I didnt mention I have 5,000 miles on the vehicle and this has been doing this since the beginning with no increase or decrease in the sound.

Again, you must have a near silent cabin. when going 55+ and you give it a steady gas you'll hear it, then just let off the gas enough that the sound goes away and then give it gas again and the sound re-appears. Make sure you don't floor it or give it too much on the pedal. Just enough pressure on the pedal and just enough off till you're not giving her any gas.

Personally I think that its the nature of the beast and thats what is bothering me. A $30k car, especially a Honda, with a reputation for quality et al has this in my opinion, FAULT. Thank goodness its not that noticable and I will admit, noises bug me more than most. Hopefully others with the 6spd will chime in. In the meantime I'll be calling Honda in CA. regards...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Being a 6-speed it sounds like a manual transmission so I'll treat it as such.
Being as you only hear the noise under light acceleration or cruising speed I'd be 99% certain it's just harmonic noises in the gears.
As you said most people have fans going or windows down or radio playing, and would most likely not notice the sound. A large % of the population has poor hearing when it comes to certain frequencys of sound and gear "whine" is one of those noises people don't notice.

If this is the case then you shouldn't have any worries. The noise should not get significantly louder over the next 20K miles if at all. Listen to a nice song

Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to dealer and ask to test drive a similar car, ask the service manager to go along so he ( she ) also can compare the 2 cars..,,.......if it has the same noise than it could be normal .,, if it does not ,have the dealer take care of it..,,

Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default nail on the head?

Originally Posted by CargalX
Being a 6-speed it sounds like a manual transmission so I'll treat it as such.
Being as you only hear the noise under light acceleration or cruising speed I'd be 99% certain it's just harmonic noises in the gears.
As you said most people have fans going or windows down or radio playing, and would most likely not notice the sound. A large % of the population has poor hearing when it comes to certain frequencys of sound and gear "whine" is one of those noises people don't notice.

If this is the case then you shouldn't have any worries. The noise should not get significantly louder over the next 20K miles if at all. Listen to a nice song
cargal I think you hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what I think it is, some sort of gear noise having to do with the tranny. Again I hate to even call it a noise because its almost non exisitent. I just took a ride locally and its impossible to hear at low speeds. you have to be doing at least 55 mph. But what makes me think it might be something else is why does it only happen when you give it gas. if it were a tranny harmonic type event then since the gears are always in motion it should do it constantly. but there's no noise when no gas is applied.

and deserthonda, very good suggestion, but I was hoping a 6spd (yes MANUAL cargal) tranny owner would save me the trouble of going to a dealer and driving a 6spd and dealing with service yada yada.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

The AWD stuff in my Saabaru whines noticably more when it's just balanced. Give it gas & it gets quiet. Let off the gas (engine brake) & it gets quiet. Only whines when I just give it the right amount of gas.

Each gearset has a bit of backlash & when there's power (driving or driven) the gearset is pushing against one side or the other. When the power is just balanced (basically zero power across the gearset) it can rattle a bit.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

very intersting on the AWD subaru. still hoping for a 6spd member to contribute...regards..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 accord 6spd. whine noise