General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 Accord A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Default 2009 Accord A/C issue

I have an 09 the ac seems to work ok but never really gets cold. While driving the air blows cold(er). At an idle it is cool. Never really gets below 60 at the vents. Is this a common issue with Honda or is there something wrong. First Honda I have owned so not really sure what is the issue. Comparing this to some Chevys and Fords I have owned and they always have very cold A/C.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

A/C performance can be impacted by high temps and especially high humidity. Since the a/c is blowing cool air, the system is working and nothing major is wrong.

Start with the simple stuff first, start the engine and turn on the a/c. Both fans on the radiator should run. Also look at the a/c condenser to see if you have any debris blocking it.

Also inspect the a/c lines with the engine off for any signs for dirt/grime buildup near any connectors. A small leak will leak out the R-134a and the oil to lubricate the system. The oil will attract dirt and may indicate a leak.

Regardless, you will require pressure gauges on both sides of the system to see if you are low on R-134a. Do not attempt to add R-134a unless you 100% verify you have a low system charge with the proper gauges and temperature readings. The pressure gauges on the cans you can get at the parts store are not good enough to possibly ruin your a/c system and significantly increase the repair cost.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the info but there is no debris or blockage on the condenser. The fans kick on like their supposed to. No leaks and the system is charged correctly. The outside temp seems to have no affect on the a/c, the system functions the same at most temps requiring a/c. Like I said this is the first Honda I've had and was expecting the a/c to operate like other cars I've owned. Most of them you could almost hang meat inside the car.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe the problem is either the heater's water valve or maybe the air-blend doors.

After going through the AC evaporator, if the air is directed through the heater core, it will be warmed up some. Especially if the heater water valve doesn't close completely.