General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Accord LX-P rear shelf tick/rattle: help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
olivehead
Unregistered
Default 2009 Accord LX-P rear shelf tick/rattle: help

on my 2009 LX-Pi havea metallic ticking over certain roads coming from the rear shelf (but i guess you could call it a rattle, as some have reported on their 2008s). if i reach through the rear door and put my hand just about anywhere left, right, or center of the third brake light and press down with moderate pressure, i can hear the sound (one "tick" per press). after reading a TSB posted somewhere, ipopped the trunk to check the rear shelf clip, andsaw that it already has felt on it.with the trunk open i again pressed down on the rear shelf.no "ticking" noise as i'dexperienced previously. then iclosed and latched the trunk, pressed down on the shelf, and heard the"ticking" noise. i did this several times just to make sure i hadn't gone insane. bottom line: trunk closed, ticking noise; trunk open, no ticking noise (aka "rattle"). btw, if the trunk lid is put down but not latched, no ticking noise. any thoughts on this? put another way, what could the rear shelf or something attached to the rear shelf possibly be making contact with when the trunk is closed and latched but not when it's open, such that pressing down on the rear shelf causes this "ticking" sound? much thanks for any input. [/align]