General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Accord Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Hummdrumm
Unregistered
Default 2009 Accord Squealing Brakes

Hi everyone,

I'm getting really frustrated with squealing brakes on my new '09 Accord. I purchased the car this past March and about 2 weeks after the brakes started squealing. I brought it into the dealership and they said that the rotors appear to have a poor finish, so they refinished them. Drove for another month, suffering through high pitched squealing. Brought the car back in and they replaced the rear rotors. About 1 day after the 'repair' the squealing is back.

What is going on? Does anyone else have this same issue? I have escalated the problem with Honda Corporate and I am awaiting an answer. This should not be happening with a brand new car with less than 2000 Kms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
88-89-08-Accord
Unregistered
Default Hmm

Obvious problems would be dust and pads.

I must say that my 2008 Accord with only 20,000 miles is making a noise in the back. The dealer said I needed new brake pads and he wanted to charge me $$$$$. I drive very conservatively so I'm very surprised that I needed new brake pads. Anyway, I plan to change these out next week and I will let you know how that goes. Evidently the dealer said the pads have a warning sound when they start getting low. By my inspection they still had plenty of pad left so everything sounded a little sketchy to me.

I will let you know in a week or two if my problem is solved. For now I am driving my 1998 Accord.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Default also frustrated with the rear pads!!!!!

I have a 2008 accord ex 4 cyl and my car recently started making a squeaking noise. I just took into the shop today to figure out what the noise is and they told me my rear pads are gone. Not even worn, but GONE. I just hit 25K this month. It is completely ridiculous that these cars go through rear pads this quickly. I went on other forums to only hear the same complaints.

I will most likely be putting in ceramic pads. I have not looked into them yet, but i would NOT and WILL not use another Honda brake pad.
They told me it would be $300 to replace the pads.

If i have to do this every 25K miles i am getting rid of this car ASAP. I will be replacing mine hopefully in the next week or so with Ceramics so i will post back and let you know how they work. Oh and also my outside rear pads have plenty of life on them but the inside pads are completely gone.

GOOD LUCK

Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Outboard & inboard pads having very different wear, might indicate a problem with the calipers binding & not sliding properly. Usually it's the outboard pad that wears faster with a sticking caliper, but ????

Old 07-09-2009, 04:57 PM

I agree Jim. Well i am bringing the car into my mechanic and getting new ceramic pads and new rotors on the rear this saturday. I am going to ask him to look at the calipers as i think there may be an issue as you stated. I picked up the ceramic pads for $25 from a friend of mine who sells auto parts and since i got those so cheap i opted for new rotors as well. I got a deal from my mechanic who is installing everything for $80. Hopefully these pads and new rotors makes the difference but if it doesn't it will be a nightmare changing these pads and rotors every 20k miles.

thank you honda

Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Usually I've had to file the paint off the backing plates of new pads, where they fit into the caliper bracket. They should NOT wedge in there tightly; they need to fit nice.

(just something that your mechanic should already know)

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Back on topic here. I have a 2009 Accord Coupe that has the exact same problem as HumDrum. I brought it back to Honda and they gave me some lame story about the front rotors needing a new finish. A week after they cut the rotors and sent me on my way they started squealing again. W T F!

That was when the car had only 500 miles on it. 6000 later and it has no ogne away!

It's not dust! It's not rust! Something is a foul and it has to be fixed. HumDrum please update this thread when Honda gets back to you.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Hummdrumm
Unregistered

So I brought the car back into the dealership last weekend. They said the front brakes had "glazing" on them and that usually that happens when you stop suddenly because of the heat that gets generated... what a load of bs, we've never stopped suddenly in this car and I explained to them that the problem has basically been there from the start.

Anyway, they cleaned the front brakes up and so far it's been ok... although the other day I thought I heard something. We'll see how it goes. I will update if the noise comes back.

Doctor J, I'm convinced this problem is something to do with the manufacturing process as it is happening on new cars like ours... this is too coincidental for it to be a popular search on Google.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not making excuses for Honda & I don't know what's been made differently on new ones, but you guys can try this for bedding-in new brakes. It even works on not-so-new brakes in many cases.

"Warped" brake rotors are usually not actually warped. Material from the pads gets transferred to the rotors & embedded into the surface at the high temperatures. You want this to happen uniformly around the whole rotor, not just in patches. This embedded material gives the brakes different friction characteristics around the rotor, which causes pulsating braking power. It is particularly bad to stop hard then clamp down on the hot brakes without moving.

I really don't know how this process will affect squealing.

Find someplace you can do this without being stupid in traffic.
1) Stop HARD from about 40mph to 10. DO NOT completely stop.
2) Drive around a couple minutes & let them cool off.
3) Repeat a few times.

4) Stop REAL REAL HARD (almost activating ABS) from 50-60mph to 10-15. DON'T stop.
5) Drive around 6-8 minutes to cool off.
6) Repeat about 6 or 8 times.

After doing this, the brakes seem to tolerate better when you stop hard at a traffic light & clamp down the brakes on a non-moving car.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Default 2009 Accord Squealing Brakes

HummDrumm,

It still amazes me that in this day and age auto mechanics would use the same B.S. excuses for why brakes squeal. They can never think outside the box for why it's happening. All they have to do is start entering this info in a data base and let the complaints pile up. When Honda see's the brake problem piling up a service bulletin might be issued. By bet is the mechanics ARE NOT doding that and instead just passing it off as another picky customer.

As far as the post above goes, this sounds like a good idea to do on a card that has 100,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. There is now way I'm doing that on this car. It has less than 10k miles on it. This shouldn't be happening!

HummDrumm please keep this thread going when you get an answer to your issue.

Doctor J.

Quick Reply: 2009 Accord Squealing Brakes