General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 4-cyl coupe won't start yesterday, starts today

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Default 2010 4-cyl coupe won't start yesterday, starts today

So my car is in the shop for this right now because I was stranded yesterday. I started it up for a short drive, parked it and turned it off for about 10 mins. Then when I went to start it it was sputtering like it couldn't get fuel and wouldn't start.

I tried waiting, taking the key out for awhile, etc. and nothing would get it to turn over. I had to get the car towed and then this morning they're saying it's starting fine. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what it could be?

I had issues with my 90 accord back in the day where it wouldn't start and I remember that was the main relay so i'm wondering if this could be something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

To me, the term "turn over" means the starter spinning the crankshaft. Sounds like yesterday it turned over but wouldn't start?? It was sputtering meaning it sorta tries to fire but it won't actually start running?

If an injector were leaking, then during the 10 minute shutdown, fuel leaks through an injector & puddles in the intake manifold. Try to start and it's flooded, so it sputters but won't start. Might even smell fuel at the tailpipe. You might get it to start by flooring the accelerator pedal - that's a programmed feature where the injectors don't fire so you can clear a flooded engine. Or it might start after sitting for a few hours.

Sitting overnight, the puddle of fuel evaporates out of the intake manifold and it starts up. The shop would have to run it, then shut down for 5 or 10 minutes & try to start it before the fuel evaporates from the intake manifold.

A bad main relay would result in the fuel pump not running, and it wouldn't sputter. It would simply crank & crank without any sign of firing - not even sputtering.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
To me, the term "turn over" means the starter spinning the crankshaft. Sounds like yesterday it turned over but wouldn't start?? It was sputtering meaning it sorta tries to fire but it won't actually start running?

If an injector were leaking, then during the 10 minute shutdown, fuel leaks through an injector & puddles in the intake manifold. Try to start and it's flooded, so it sputters but won't start. Might even smell fuel at the tailpipe. You might get it to start by flooring the accelerator pedal - that's a programmed feature where the injectors don't fire so you can clear a flooded engine. Or it might start after sitting for a few hours.

Sitting overnight, the puddle of fuel evaporates out of the intake manifold and it starts up. The shop would have to run it, then shut down for 5 or 10 minutes & try to start it before the fuel evaporates from the intake manifold.

A bad main relay would result in the fuel pump not running, and it wouldn't sputter. It would simply crank & crank without any sign of firing - not even sputtering.
Thanks for the input Jim and yes, it would turn over, sputter a bit like it was getting close, then never start. The shop is trying to replicate by doing exactly what I did yesterday but I definitely find it odd that the car was totally fine with no lights or odd behavior and then suddenly this.

Right before I got it towed it wasn't even really sputtering and the tow truck driver said he didnt hear the fuel pump kicking off at all. I'm crossing my fingers they're able to figure this out today because I certainly don't want to waste money on a relay if that's not it but I'm guessing this problem won't be going away on its own.