General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Honda Accord EXL V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2010 Honda Accord EXL V6

Hey guys
my 2010 Honda Accord EXL V6 with about 160k miles has a “check fuel cap” that keeps coming up on the dash. I replaced the cap, still get it on occasion when I start the car or mid drive. Anybody else experience this?
i have no check engine light on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure why you don't get a CEL for that... You might want to go to a parts store & have them read any error codes that are stored but not displaying the CEL. The actual code number (something like P1234) is more useful than the guy's explanation of what's wrong.

What the sensors actually are measuring is to verify the fuel tank is airtight like it's supposed to be. A loose fuel cap is certainly the most likely, but there could be a number of other things.

Do you work on your own car? Comfortable getting it up on jackstands & crawling around underneath? Look for rubber hoses that are disconnected, or maybe dry & cracked. Rubber connections & hose clamps around the filler pipe? Anything like that. More likely up high on the tank (where you can't easily see it) because a leak down low would drip fuel or at least smell like fuel.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Not sure why you don't get a CEL for that... You might want to go to a parts store & have them read any error codes that are stored but not displaying the CEL. The actual code number (something like P1234) is more useful than the guy's explanation of what's wrong.

What the sensors actually are measuring is to verify the fuel tank is airtight like it's supposed to be. A loose fuel cap is certainly the most likely, but there could be a number of other things.

Do you work on your own car? Comfortable getting it up on jackstands & crawling around underneath? Look for rubber hoses that are disconnected, or maybe dry & cracked. Rubber connections & hose clamps around the filler pipe? Anything like that. More likely up high on the tank (where you can't easily see it) because a leak down low would drip fuel or at least smell like fuel.
Yup, I think I fixed my P1457 code while I was replacing my fuel and brake lines, as the tank vent line (steel) had rusted off right at the rubber hose (not the only rusty spot in that line either). That line got replaced while I was in there. So far no CEL light on. Just something to keep in mind IF they use salt on the roads in your state.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

After every fuel fill-up. just tightened the fuel cap at least 3 clicks.

The 3-clicks (at least) is part of published Honda info. to techs/advisers.