General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 VSA Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Default 2010 VSA Question

I'm actually embarassed to be asking this but I own a 2010 4 dr 4cyl Accord and the "VSA Off" button is making me nuts. The problem is that I can't tell if I have VSA enabled or not. I want it enabled!

We had our first bit of snow of the year this morning and while I was driving the VSA light came on briefly while I was messing around in the parking lot and I couldn't tell if that light meant "hey I'm VSA and I'm working" or "hey stupid turn the VSA on!".

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

When the light turns on the VSA is working.
Get in some snow or icy parking lot.....try to do a 4 wheel drift and the VSA light should come on.
You might be able to feel/hear the ABS pulsing the brakes on the non-traction wheel.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

On your 2010 Accord, the VSA button is enabled every time you turned on your car even if you turned it off the last time, unless you have a malfunction; your dash lights will look normal (i.e., nothing different, no VSA light on). If your VSA button is switched off, a VSA activation off warning light will be on the dash. This is explained in the owner's manual.

Now if you were driving in the rain and the sensors and computer detect one wheel spinning at a much different rate than the others, the computer and VSA will automatically do some very fast intermittent braking, and your VSA light on the dash will blink for the time the computer is doing the fast pumping of the brakes. This is different than the VSA activation off light and is not explained in the owner's manual. Most people aren't even aware the computer is doing this. In heavy rain one time, an Acura less than a car length was in front of me in the next lane, at the same time, I guess our cars' computer detect some hydroplaning, simultaneously at the same time, my VSA light started blinking very fast and the computer was automatically pumping the brakes very fast on my car, I could see the Acura next to me with it's stop lights blinking very fast too, pretty much the same as my VSA blinking light (which meant the Acura's computer was doing the same thing as my Honda, automatically pumping the brakes to help control our vehicles).

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.