General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 Accord EX-L Automatic - Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Default 2011 Accord EX-L Automatic - Oil Leaks

I have a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L automatic with just under 6700 miles. At first oil change noticed entire engine and underside of front of vehicle is coated with a film of oil.

A bit of internet search says there was a stop sell on this car for a potential manufacturing defect. Dealer says it is not the issue, that was fixed but the gasket on the valve cover likely failed and it looks much worse than it is. They acknowledge the valve cover was removed and checked pre sale. But they also say the replacement of the gasket is a simple and quick fix.

Car did not overheat or if it did the temp never rose per the gague, and lost about 1 quart of oil overall. I did notice what seemed like a coolant smell a few times, but temp was low and though it was from cars in front of me on highway - may or may not be related, or may be the smell of the synthetic oil? Not sure.

Never saw oil stains on driveway for some reason, but most engine surfaces are coated from the valve cover and below.

Does this make sense and sound like a small issue, or is it something of concern? I have always had very good luck with Honda but this seems odd on such a low mileage car. Any feedback appreciated.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Take your car to the dealership, and make sure it is documented. The valve cover gasket replacement isn't a big deal. Being down one quart should not have caused any problems.

Have the dealership clean the oil off of the engine. Check your oil periodically.

If the problem was not fixed, take it back to the dealership.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:57 PM

My 2011 Accord has a leak supposedly from the valve cover and another place that "drains" into my alternator, so therefore the dealership will not honor a replacement for the alternator they installed in July of last year. I, too, do not have ANY oil on my driveway, nor is my oil low in my car itself, so how is it leaking enough to ruin the alternator? I have put 4 alternators on this car in 5 years, yet they are trying to tell me it is from an oil leak. If that was the case they should have caught it last July and I formed me of it, yet they did not. I am sick of this car

Old 04-21-2022, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Before doing anything, look at the alternator to see if it has oil on it.

Is your accord a 4 cylinder or V6? If oil is getting to the alternator, then you have to fix the oil leak(s) then replace the alternator. Did the list the sources of the oil leaks?

Old 04-21-2022, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Before doing anything, look at the alternator to see if it has oil on it.

Is your accord a 4 cylinder or V6? If oil is getting to the alternator, then you have to fix the oil leak(s) then replace the alternator. Did the list the sources of the oil leaks?
Mine is V6, and yes they said a specific spot. And the valve cover, I want to say the "spool" something I think, and the actual valve cover