General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems

Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Default 2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems

Owned my 2013 Accord for less than a week, before I realized the Compass was not showing up in the intelligent display next to the clock.

I tried calibrating as per the manual, but everytime I select "Calibrate compass" the thing just kicks out to whatever screen I was at before.

The dealer seems stumped...they checked for the missing fuse already.

Anyone come accross this issue?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

The buttons and displays varies based on models; however, try the following:

Turn ignition to ON (II). Models with the smart entry system have an ENGINE START/STOP button instead of an ignition switch.

Turn radio off so you don't lose the screen while you are adjusting it.

Push and HOLD the SETTINGS button for at least 5 seconds. Depending on the model (one display screen, two display screens,or navigation); the Settings button is either to the right of the Selector ****, or above the Selector ****. The display screen will switch to the Compass Setting screen.

Rotate the Selector **** to select Zone Adjust first before you calibrate. Press the Selector ****. Rotate the Selector **** to select the zone number of your area (see zone map in your owner's manual).

Rotate the Selector **** to Calibration, then press the Selector ****.

When the display changes to Calibration Start, press the Selector ****, then drive car slowly in two circles.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems-compass-calibration.jpg   2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems-compass-zone.jpg   2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems-settings-button.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Tried that =/ The dealer was able to replicate the afforementioned actions on another accord in the lot, just wont work on mine...

Looks like they will have to open the thing up to see if anything was not connected properly, sigh.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The buttons and displays varies based on models; however, try the following:

Turn ignition to ON (II). Models with the smart entry system have an ENGINE START/STOP button instead of an ignition switch.

Turn radio off so you don't lose the screen while you are adjusting it.

Push and HOLD the SETTINGS button for at least 5 seconds. Depending on the model (one display screen, two display screens,or navigation); the Settings button is either to the right of the Selector ****, or above the Selector ****. The display screen will switch to the Compass Setting screen.

Rotate the Selector **** to select Zone Adjust first before you calibrate. Press the Selector ****. Rotate the Selector **** to select the zone number of your area (see zone map in your owner's manual).

Rotate the Selector **** to Calibration, then press the Selector ****.

When the display changes to Calibration Start, press the Selector ****, then drive car slowly in two circles.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM

COMPASS PROBLEM - I also am not able to observe the compass on my 4-day-old Accord Coupe EX-L V6. I have tried the suggestion above (by RedBull) but having tried to hold down the SETTINGS button (just above the Selector know) for 5+ seconds many times (and under many variations) I am not able to generated any manner of display having to do with the compass. From your experience, does this look like it is going to be a major problem ??? (I am a brand new subscriber to this site, also having joined to seek your help.). Thanks JJK

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 AM

I brought it to the dealer...who were stumped for a good 2 days.

They thought it was a fuse at first after well...they just could not figure it out.

Turns out while first setting up the car the technician started but never finished configuring compass so it was just stuck.

The fix was to restart the vehicle computer by disconnecting the power and etc...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Same problem here on an 2013 EX-L. Dealer is waiting for a update from Honda!? DC30000, any more details on what the dealer did to fix it?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by JimA
Same problem here on an 2013 EX-L. Dealer is waiting for a update from Honda!? DC30000, any more details on what the dealer did to fix it?
Hey wish I could help you more, but I am not a certified Honda technician so I can only tell you what they told me. All they had to do was...restart the vehicle computer and after running a diagnostic they were able to complete the configuration of the compass, which apparently was never completed before it left the lot.

If your dealer does not know what to do, you could contact the service department at Joyce Honda in Denville NJ. They were the guys who eventually figured it out...after 2 days.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM

Had my Accord in to the dealer today and they were able to make the compass work by setting the compass zone. Apparently not done in the original setup. Didn't take very long and all my setup information was intact, so I assume they did not have to completely reboot the system. Anyway - now I know where I'm going

Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM

I notice on my 2013 accord EX-L 4 cyl, after Honda updated my software on my car 3 weeks ago, Just notice my compass would not display. I set the compass to my zone 9, it was in the wrong zone and tried to calibrate it but it just keeps flipping back to the last screen I was at. I am taking it in to the dealer today, let you know what happens when I get back.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Well, just got back from the dealer, waited almost 3 hours. The dealer fix it, they switch zone to calibrate my compass, once that was done they put it back to my zone and re-calibrated. Now I won't get lost anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord EX-L, Compass problems