General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM

I have the same issue as Susan with a 2013 Honda Accord 4 cyl EX-L, it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I was able to pin point exactly where the sound is coming from. Turning the car on (using key fob and not starting) stops the noise and off again, noise doesn't return. I have a picture of the part that is buzzing when the car is off but don't know how to post it here.

Last edited by LJGibbs; 12-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Default Audio Noise and low speed rattle

I have jus purchased the 4 cyl EX version and have notices the same issues:

1. Audio static noise: I have 3 days with the car and have experienced the noise 3 times, this is definitelly a electric static noise and not some mechanic noise

2. When I release the acceleration pedal and the speed goes down from 25 MPH to 15 MPH, I feel a funny rattle "bumpy" movement, May be something related to the CVT

By the way, this vehicle was purchased from a dealership in Mexico last week. EX-L version

Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LJGibbs
I have the same issue as Susan with a 2013 Honda Accord 4 cyl EX-L, it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I was able to pin point exactly where the sound is coming from. Turning the car on (using key fob and not starting) stops the noise and off again, noise doesn't return. I have a picture of the part that is buzzing when the car is off but don't know how to post it here.
Since you have determined the source of the noise, did you contact the dealer to determine if this is "normal"?

Very interesting post as i have been looking at the 13 models...not sure I'm ready to buy one yet given these issues. Looking forward to the resoultions you folks are given by the dealerships.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by accordfan
Since you have determined the source of the noise, did you contact the dealer to determine if this is "normal"?

Very interesting post as i have been looking at the 13 models...not sure I'm ready to buy one yet given these issues. Looking forward to the resoultions you folks are given by the dealerships.
Yes, sent the service manager an email detailing my findings. No reply as of yet. Continuing my investigation yesterday as soon as my wife returned home noticed the sound was really faint, I could not hear anything with the hood closed. But after opening the hood yes the part was buzzing faintly. This time I wanted to time it to see how long the part would buzz before stopping. After 15 minutes went out and the buzzing had definately gotten louder. After 30 minutes still buzzing. Then at 45 minutes went out and it had stopped on its own. Again probably not a major problem but something that once I have determined the frequency I will take it in. Btw, my wife has no complaints about the car, she loves it.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Default 2013 Accord whining noise after engine shut off

I had my 2013 Accord (purchased from Crown Honda, Durham, NC) for 3 days when I noticed a whining noise coming from my 4 cylinder engine after parking the car in my garage. Took it to the dealer 3 times and it would not make the noise while parked at their place. Finally shot a video of the noise, which appeared to come from the area near the alternator, and took the video to the dealer for a tech to watch. The dealer tech had not seen this problem and called Honda Tech Line for help. The Tech Line told the dealer tech to install new computer software to disable a timed solenoid run cycle which periodically cycles for many minutes after the engine is shut off for about 10 minutes. The dealer tech told me that the solenoid is part of the variable valve timing (VVT) and that the solenoid was occasionally cycled to quote, clean it. I asked what happens to the solenoid if it is no longer "cleaned", and went to the Serv. Mgr. for an answer. His reply, not to worry, you have a 3 year warranty and if Honda instructs the dealer to make the software change, it must be ok. Bottom line, the car no longer whines after the engine is shut off, but I'm not happy with the solution. I don't think I'll be keeping this car very long. Besides the whining, the right front suspension was completely replaced due to a squeal noise when turning left (it now makes a clunk noise when running over small dips in the road) and the radio does numerous strange things, like no sound and distorted sound some times. I wish I had bought a Toyota.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM

"...right front suspension was completely replaced due to a squeal noise when turning left (it now makes a clunk noise when running over small dips in the road)"

WOW! That is just crazy for a brand new car. Is Honda going to address this issue on a large scale inspection/recall, or did they even tell you?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Service at Crown Honda, Durham, NC was doing their best to do as little as possible for me. After they spoke to Honda Tech Line, Crown service put sensors on the suspension parts and drove the car so that a data logger could record the vibration in the suspension parts. They replaced the strut, lower arm, and one other suspension part. They did not tell me this was a large scale recall, they just "fixed" my car. But last night, I made a quick left turn and I heard a slight squeal again (sounds like metal to metal squeal as the wheels are rolling). Plus I still heard the new clunk noise this morning on my drive to work when hitting small dips in the road. So, I'm going to try another Honda dealer for warranty service and I'll see what happens next. Long term, I'm not going to keep this car. Not sure if I have a lemon or if all 2013 Accords are like this.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Please update this post if you get any resolution. I'm sure many people would be interested to hear how this turns out for you and the others with similar 2013 issues.

I Hope Honda takes care of this for you

Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

today

Last edited by Spoolme; 12-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Default Have you had problems with your 2013 Accord?

I will keep posting to this site and also to the vtec.net website regarding how Honda responds to my problems. I hope other owners of 2013 Accords find this site and provide their experiences. I can't believe my experience is unique. Yesterday, I composed a letter to American Honda in Torrance, CA, listing the repair history and remaining problems with my new car. It seems you are not able to email Honda, so you are left with making a phone call or mailing a letter. In the letter, I have requested that Amer. Honda contact me and the next Honda dealership I want to use, so that the three of us can coordinate the resolution of the problems with my new car (haven't even made it to 2000 miles on the odometer yet). Stay tuned.........

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Problems