General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord text message setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Default 2013 Accord text message setup

Hi, everyone!

I have been trying to get my Droid Bionic to use the text message interface this weekend, so far without success.

I checked to see that the phone is on the compatibility list (text=yes, email=no).

I also checked the Motorola website to make sure the phone is MAP enabled for texts.

When I go to the Select Account dialog, I never get a response. It just says 'downloading' for a couple minutes, then returns to the menu like it timed out.

When I try to read texts, it is always grayed out.

Has anyone else had success with a Droid Bionic?

Mine has been upgraded to ICS, could that be the issue?

I searched the forum and found one person with the same phone and problem, but he never said if he got it working and I haven't been able to reach him.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sometimes a phone software "upgrade" will result in less HFL functionality as phone sofware changes a lot more then HFL support. I just ordered a Z10 and noticed in the compatibility feature HFL list that BB's historically were much more likely to offer advace HFL features such as mail/txt support. The Z10 is QNX based so it should be a good fit with Honda (or any QNX hands free system). I hope Honda is a qnx based HFL solution but googling just got me to irrelevant information land.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM

I've been reading about bluetooth and learned that MAP stands for Message Access Profile. I had assumed it stood for Message Access Protocol.

Once I knew it was profile, I saw the HFL device in my phone had a phone audio profile and a media audio profile, but no message profile. I found that in the settings.

Since my phone is working both as a phone and as an audio device, I figured I am missing a "profile" for message.

From there I got the (to me) brilliant idea that because the text feature was turned off on the car when I paired the phone, perhaps the "profiles" were only created at pairing.

So, I deleted my phone from the car and the HandsFreeLink from my phone and started over, this time with the text/email feature already turned on.

I was *sure* that was going to take care of it, but nope.

After 10 days of researching, trying things and an hour spent at the dealer, I'm going to resort to getting help from one of my friends who is more techie than me.

If something turns up, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM

Progress of a sort. When I repeated the process with my friend in the car (deleted the phone from the accord, unpaired in the phone), then re-paired, that time I got a request on the phone to allow the accord to have MAP access. That had never happened before.

I gave permission and checked the box for "always allow".

However, I still didn't end up with a Message Access Profile in the phone's bluetooth settings, the Select Account option on the Accord still times out and the text/email is still grayed out.

The fact that it is not always working the same implies a timing issue with the software to me, so when I have more time to mess with it, I will repeat the process several more times and see if varying the timing gets a different result.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Kasey, I'll be watching for any replies/solutions and keep you posted if I find anything.

I, too, have the Bionic with the same update. I don't have an Accord, but recently purchased a CR-Z with the navi system and get the same problem, no text (grayed out).

I've been searching for around two weeks and have done everything that you described, all to no avail. I called the HFL helpline and they were no help.

I know my MAP feature works because in my CR-V I have a Motorola BT speaker that links up no problem. When the phone is in the car cradle and switches to carmode, any texts coming in get read through the Moto BT speaker.

I even downloaded an app that forces the Bionic into carmode, 'cuz I thought maybe that is why it worked in the CR-V. Nope.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I wonder if this is perhaps part of the whole dumbing down of BT sync that Honda seems intent on doing for "safety" reasons. Like you can't use contact list while driving which my 09 accord did just fine and my wife as a passenger used quite a bit in the same car. If they are worried we are too dumb to select and hit enter on a contact to dial then they must be petrified over what we might do with email or txt features enabled. I go in for a software update next weds and will let folks know if that improves anything although I would not bet the farm on it. This 13 accord is the first "modern" car I owned that will not let me dial bt from my contact list. It also creates a problem in how you create your contact list for someone that has seperate work/home/wireless phone #'s in terms of getting voice activated to dial the correct #. Sorry Honda - you laid an egg on this one.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM

nicoljb, it is grayed out whether the car is moving, or in park, or even turned off and in aux power mode. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM

teesquar, thanks for that info! So, the Bionic's ICS MAP support works with at least some devices, but not with the 2013 Accord HFL. Good thing to keep in mind as I puzzle through this.

Do I have this correct? You have both an CR-Z and a CR-V? And it works in the CR-V?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Honda has a software update for the audio or audio-navigation unit that will repair several known audio, HandsFreeLink, and navigation system bugs. You may want to check with the dealer regarding the update.

Honda technical service bulletin, TSB # 13-001.

It may or may not fix your problem.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

See if changing the phone settings make it work (see attached pics.)

Th following link is regarding the SMS text messaging and email functions.

HondaLink

Per Motorola site: Bluetooth MAP is supported on BIONIC. However, its limited to MMS/SMS read/write from the car kit. Email functionality is not supported.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord text message setup-phone-settings-1.jpg   2013 Accord text message setup-phone-settings-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord text message setup