General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3000 Rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Default 3000 Rpm

Hello all
I'm have an issue with my 95 accord, 2.2 non vtech, yesterday it started acting up on me, it never did this before, was working fine but all of a sudden it was having trouble finding idle when in park or neutral. Also when this started when I switched gears to either R or D it would jerk really bad. On top of that when cars drives it would not go above 3000 rpms. So I would not able to look at it last night, but did check it out this morning and took it for a quick drive before anything else, and it worked fine, went above 3000, no jerking, worked great and I though ok great, no problems, check oil, all fluids and they're all fine. Later in the day, went back, started it and it had some trouble starting, so before driving I turned it off and tried to start one more time, and now it just completely won't start. So now when I'm trying to start it it acts as though the battery is dead (lights dim, does not want to turn over, etc) I did check and the battery is fine. So, just wondering does anyone have an idea on what may be going on?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Could be one issue or multiple....how much are you willing to do?

First, check for codes, the 95 has the service connector to do this, all you need is a paperclip-see the Common DIY Threads (at the top of this section) for location and how to read...post back with any or none.

Turn the key to on/pos II (like it would be when the car is running). Watch the CEL, does it come on for ~3 sec and go off?

Do you have a volt meter and a can of carb cleaner?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Im willing to do alot to see what the problem is

I checked for CEL codes and either i didnt do it right or there is none, I follow the DIY with the paperclip and the CEL just says on, does not go off at all, but also with no paperclip and normal setup, it is not on anyway, do have a voltmeter and i checked the battery also just to make sure and it is fine
do not have a can of carb cleaner though, but car does not have a carb it is fuel injected, so not sure what you meant by that

still puzzled as to what is going on

Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

How did you check the battery?

I would disconnect the cables from the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables with a small wire brush. Then reconnect. Try to start the car again.

If you still have the problem, try using jumper cables from a working car to see if the car will start. If the car starts, I would stop by a parts store and have them test the battery, alternator, and starter. This is a free test and they load test the battery for you.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM

I tested the battery with the voltmeter, it was at 11.8V, which i thought was fine, just to make sure I hooked up a charger and let it charge for a while just to make sure and what do you know it started, turned it off, tried to start again and it would not start anymore, tried a new battery and it start right up consistently, went to auto zone and changed battery cause it was still on warranty, starts up fine now.

Still don't know why it was giving me that problem with 3000 rpm and jerking when changing to D and R, if anyone knows a possible reason, someone i spoke to said i may have gotten some water in engine, seeing as this started the other day when it was raining, put some HEET just to make sure if it was water that it should remove it, but don't know, going to try driving it around today and see if it does it again or not

Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Update: so I drove the car to work just now and it was driving fine, went above 3k, about 20 mins of driving it started doing the same thing, would no longer go above 3k, still no check engine light or anything