General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4 Wheel Tire Alignment?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 AM
Default 4 Wheel Tire Alignment?

I just had 4 new tires put on my 2000 Accord by my mechanic after a close call recently in the rain with the old tires. I was driving through a slight turn in the rain and the rear started to let go. I was able to regain control, but it scared the hell out of me. BTW, I was probably driving too fast that day, but I've never had the rear tires let go like that in over 20 years of driving.

My mechanic said all four tires had uneven wear on them, with the edges of the tires worn, but the middle tread still looked good. I read that under inflation could cause that "cupping" and honestly I never check my tire pressures. I regularly have my tires rotated, so it's difficult to tell if it's just a problem with the front tires wearing unevenly.

Should I get a 4 wheel alignment? I've never had an alignment and my car has a little over 150k miles on it. After spending the money on new tires and the uneven wear being a possible reason I almost lost it in the rain, would a 4 wheel alignment be a good idea?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Accords have limited alignment capability; front toe-in and caster, and rear toe-in are adjustable. The most important IMO, camber is not adjustable. Rears are not adjustable at all.

If car is driving OK, I would try checking tire air pressures more frequently and perhaps increase frequency of rotation, depending on amount of driving. No harm in having an alignment by a good shop, however I've had things come out worse (driving feel) after an alignment.

good luck