General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5 Speed Swap Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default 5 Speed Swap Progress

So I am about 30 hours into the swap

Finally feel like I am making some progress

Here are some pics...

from a few days ago (step 1 disassemble)

Name:  101_3864.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  83.7 KB

Here is the 5 speed transmission that got a quick Spray Paint Rebuild job

Name:  101_3888.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  213.6 KB

I just got this back in last night, I noticed that the front motor mount was destroyed on both my car and the donor car. I ordered a new one from Ebay for $17.00 so progress is going to slow for a few day but the weather just got real cold as well so hopefully it will be a bit warmer in a few days.

Name:  101_3905.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  88.8 KB

the worst part of the job, damn I wish I knew a 'short person' who could have gotten these in there for me. 2 days and many curse words were used getting those pedals in there.

Name:  101_3907.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  127.1 KB

I cut about 3 inches off the shift lever. It looked like a semi-truck shifter plus it blocked the view of the Navi / DVD screen when in 5th gear. it will be a touch higher as I am going to weld some threads on the top so I can screw down a proper shift ****. Fake carbon **** came from donor car, shift boot is even uglier.

Name:  101_3908.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  137.2 KB

Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Cool.

Did you find the "home" for the wires?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Cool.

Did you find the "home" for the wires?
Yes I found the joining 4 wire connector. When I pulled the motor the chain must have rubbed against the connector and broke it apart. I also broke that ECT sensor putting on the transmission by myself. So I am off to the Pick n Pull on Monday to find another one.

I think I am going to use some insulated male and female spade connectors to join back the 4 wires unless I come across a decent 4 wire connector at the junk yard.

I would like to never perform this swap again. I am finding it to be the most unenjoyable procedure that i have ever done on a car. Seriously to anyone else thinking they want to do this just sell your car and buy one with a 5 speed already in it.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

That is what I have always figured about the 5spd swap, that it is just easier to buy a 5spd car. Especially seeing how cheap 5g Accords are these days.

But at least you can say you did it.

Should have painted the block while you had it out, at least the front.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Supper Moderator

I took my driver seat out when I did my swap. My shoulder hurt like a **** for 2 days from being crammed down under the dash.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
I took my driver seat out when I did my swap. My shoulder hurt like a **** for 2 days from being crammed down under the dash.

the drivers seat is out..
My hands were cramped up into hooks for days after putting those pedals in..

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
That is what I have always figured about the 5spd swap, that it is just easier to buy a 5spd car. Especially seeing how cheap 5g Accords are these days.

But at least you can say you did it.

Should have painted the block while you had it out, at least the front.
Well like I said before this swap wasn't done because I wanted a 5 speed, my auto blew suddenly with no warning leaving my GF on the side of a dark country road late at night.

I didn't want to risk getting a used auto and possibly having the same problem another day so I went with a 5 speed swap due to the manuals durability.

You are right about painting the block, I am going to pick up a can of engine black tomorrow and spray the front of the block, dist, and exhaust cover black. The valve cover is getting sprayed in the same blue as the trans.

The donor car came with a intake which I sprayed in gloss black and bought a new blue cone filter for.

Some new blue spark plug wires and my under hood should be looking pretty clean.

I also bought a new dist O-ring which was the source of my only leak.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Went to a local Pick-n-pull yesterday
I got a replacement ECT sensor and a Banjo bolt for the clutch.

Today I bled the clutch and got all the nasty black fluid out of it along with all the air. The clutch feels nice and easy just like a 4 cyc econobox should.

I had to cut some corners (cause I do not have the funds to do it all right) so I bought a new friction plate but had to reuse the old pressure plate, throwout bearing, and flywheel. I sanded everything down with 400 grit and the bearing feels decent.

I also drilled out the passenger side transmission mount today.

I am waiting on my front motor mount to arrive (should be here wendsday) So I figure 6 hours tomorrow and another 6 on Wend and i should be done.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM

well I know it is how it is supposed to go but I am super happy anyway.

After reconnecting all the wires and hoses, I threw the battery in, cranked it and after a few seconds it fired right up!!!

I didn't let it run but for a sec cause the exhaust and cooling system are not hooked up yet.

I dont even have any of the motor mount bolts in yet.

But hearing it fire up was a great relief.

This is the first fuel injected motor I have ever installed.

So now I am going to go out and get all the mount bolts in.
Install the accessories, connect the exhaust, slide the axles in, connect the ball joints, install the radiator, pull the wheels on, fill the trans with oil, and take it for a test ride.

Piece of cake, right?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Congratulations! You can be proud of the all the work you have done on this car. May you have many year's of continued trouble free motoring.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Swap Progress