General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5 Speed Swap Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Thank you Jet Sitter - that is the goal.

Got all the motor mounts in except for the front one which is due for delivery by Fedex today.

Just got the shifter cables connected to the transmission.

I did not know that the thermostat housing had to be removed in order to install the larger one. I kept trying to fit the clip on it and could not get it one. One I removed the t-stat it went right on.

Taking a short break and then the exhaust and axles.

I think I will fill the trans and start the car and go through a few gears.

Also I am running the Auto ECM right now (I have a 5 speed one already just not installed) and I was able to start the car and remove the key so the wiring I did works.

The D4 light was flashing when I had the car running before, however.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM

The axles took a while to get in.
Have all accessories on now - alt, PS pump, Compressor
Now just gotta install radiator and add oil to trans.
Getting close.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Done

Everything works just fine.

I have 1 heater hose that needs to be tightend up but everything else works just like it should.

What a difference, like a totally different car.

Hard to describe, just so much different than the auto.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent!
I've always liked manual transmissions better than autos.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

now I have to teach my GF how to drive a 5 speed as it is the car she drives to work.

kinda sucks that I have to teach her to drive on a brand new clutch plate.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I taught my wife & both daughters and it's worth it. The clutch wear they do during learning, is pretty small compared to the wear they would do if they didn't have any instruction.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Gl teaching the gf to drive a clutch. Been with my wife 12 years she wont drive one. Nice work on the swap. I bet it was a good learning experience. Most people dont have the ***** to tackle that and buy a car with 5 speed.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM

When I got married, I had a Camaro with a 4 speed. I tied to teach my wife to drive it, but it was hopeless. I bought her a car with an automatic. About a year later, she said that she wanted an MG. I told her that you can only get an MG with a manual transmission. She said if I bought her one she would learn. Sure enough, she has been drivng manuals ever since.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Before we got married, my fiance bought a 82 VW with 5-speed. I had to drive it home from the dealer then I had to teach her how to use the clutch. She became good at it before too long.

When my youngest daughter was almost old enough to learn to drive, we inherited a 98 Accord with auto. She wanted that car, so she could avoid learning to drive manual. Well, I made her learn anyway; taught her on my 95 Integra GSR. Then made her take the auto Accord. She hated it, she liked manual so much more. My wife was already fond of telling people that she didn't know how to drive an automatic. Daughter was really pissed that I didn't give her the GSR.

Later, the same daughter knew some kid who got an old Datsun Z-car & wanted to show off to her. She came in the house laughing because he didn't know how to shift.

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-17-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Here it is with everything back where it is supposed to go.

I put in the 5 speed ECU yesterday and now I no longer have a Christmas Tree display on the cluster.

I had a weird no start issue briefly yesterday - it sounded like it was out of time. I ended up spraying a bit of light oil in the intake and it started right up. I test drove it for a while after that starting and stopping it a few times with no other problems.

Now I do have a potential problem I will look into it more today.

For some reason 1 of my cooling fans always comes on for a few mins after I turn the car off. It has done that since I got the car. Only recently here on the board did I learn that the fan is only supposed to come on if the car was running hot.

Well yesterday after the car had been off for for at least 1/2 an hour the fan was still running. I pulled the power plug going to it.

I will see how it runs today - hopefully everything will work fine today.

Name:  101_3932.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  206.1 KB

Yes I know the paint came out very poorly on the dist. I tool the dist off yesterday to change the O-Ring and wanted to throw a coat of paint on it. So I hit it real good with degreasor, scrubbed it with steel wool, hit it with 400 grit paper, rinsed it with water and let it dry. I hit it with an old can of Engine Paint in red and it just bubbled up real bad. I thought it might have been that the paint was a few years old. So I removed the paint cleaned it again and hit it with the Blue Engine paint that lays real nice on everything I used it on. Same thing happened. By now I was getting frustrated and wanted the Dist back on so I could test drive the car so I covered it in the cheap black paint. I guess one day I will take it off and redo it, but hey I have to keep reminding me that this is no show car, I am the only one who ever looks under the hood anyway.

Last edited by crispin; 02-17-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Swap Progress