General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

6MT starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 AM
fmeier
Unregistered
Default 6MT starter Problem

I have a 6mt sedan that I've had for 9 months. Lately I've been running into some issues when starting my engine. When I turn the key the car will act as if the battery is completely dead. This can happen several times as I turn the key to start the engine. I'll hear a click and the lights are out all over. As a matter of fact, in one instance I've had to reprogram the radio. But here is the odd behavior, after a few tries the car will suddendly start as if nothing happened. This has been going on for the last few weeks.

- The battery is the new, since I bought the car new 9 months ago.
- The behavior is inconsistent. On some days I will be able to start the car without any problem
- Once the car is running, it runs fine. No odd behavior that I can notice.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the security system.

Need help.

Thx

Old 07-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Tuan
Unregistered
Default RE: 6MT starter Problem

If the car is still under warranty, take it in and let the dealer deal with it. Based on what you stated, the problem lies in the Starting System, which includes the battery.

Does the inconsistency related to outside air temp? If the battery is defective, it may not be able operate well at low tempereratures. That is, its Cold Cranking power is too weak. Does it start ok when you have everything off (A/C, fans, radio, etc...)?

Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i think your cables arnt connected properly. clean the cables and the battery terminals, making sure you get any corrosion off. then make sure they are on there nice and tight.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 PM
fmeier
Unregistered

That's the first thing that I tried but the cables were very clean and very tight. I did not bother to unscrew them but I will tomorrow

Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
fmeier
Unregistered

Temperature does not seem to be a problem. It's been in the 90s in GA. Just remember that the car does eventually start after going through this odd behavior. I will bring it to the dealer but I fear that it will not act this way and that I won't have much to show. That's why I trying to see what's around in this forum.

Thx

FM

Old 07-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the fact that your radio needed to be reprogrammed tells me that it is definately battery related.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Tuan
Unregistered

Is it possible that you can jump the car every time you start it? If the car starts up fine every time, then it has to be the battery. If you still get intermittent start-ups, then it has to be connections, which includes the cables that hook up from the battery to the starter solenoid and starter. Check for rusty connections.