General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?

Hello. I don't know if that title says what I want, but here's the scoop. In my '99 V6 I put a rebuilt transmission, and in my '00 4-cyl LX I put a JDM ("50-65K miles"). Both came with torque converters, and with recommendation to simply install my old units' sensors/solenoids. For the JDM this is to prevent trouble codes and failed inspections, and it came with the Japanese parts still installed; for the rebuilt there were no external components present. So I pretty much just removed the old stuff and bolted it all on these units. Both cars are functional, but not perfect. JDM tranny has one issue: slow shift from first to second. DTC eventually popped up: P1738:2nd clutch transmission fluid pressure switch failure. The rebuilt is worse, with clunking, bucking, roughness, both upshift and when decelerating and downshift. My question is: would brand new solenoids and sensors and pressure switches make all the difference? Or even new o-rings? Poorman, you got me to thinking this with a link you posted to Sonnax, and an article discussing 0-ringed end plug kits. I've ordered a 2nd clutch pressure switch for the JDM and would be thrilled if that smoothed it out; I have no DTC on the rebuilt one, and I'm considering replacing all of it, speed sensors, solenoids, switches. Just trying to learn in advance what I should be hoping for. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

What ATF are you using?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Genuine/Sterling ATF DW-1, which I thought was Honda recommended,but now you've got me worrying...

Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99 qball
Genuine/Sterling ATF DW-1, which I thought was Honda recommended,but now you've got me worrying...
Never heard of Sterling DW-1, but yes, DW-1 is the right stuff.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wasn't Sterling a short-lived car brand that was a joint venture between Honda & Rover? If so, that's just another car that has a Honda engine & transmission.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Wasn't Sterling a short-lived car brand that was a joint venture between Honda & Rover? If so, that's just another car that has a Honda engine & transmission.
Yup, there was the Rover Sterling (kinda-sorta a crappy English Acura Legend), but I don't seen the connection to Sterling DW-1.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks shipo. I buy it on ebay. The listing said "Sterling/Genuine", the bottle doesn't.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks shipo. I buy it on ebay. The listing said "Sterling/Genuine", the bottle doesn't.
Yup, that's the right stuff.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I've got a "2nd clutch pressure switch", 38 psi OEM #28600-P6H-003 here that I will install on the JDM unit, and we'll see if it helps the 1st to 2nd gear shifting. I will say that overall I am happy with the performance of this JDM, which again I put in the 2000 Accord SE which at 140,000 was shifting erratically. As for the '99 V6 and the rebuilt unit, I am still considering replacing switches and solenoids, but was hoping to get some feedback from others who've done similar.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

I've got a "2nd clutch pressure switch", 38 psi OEM #28600-P6H-003 here that I will install on the JDM unit, and we'll see if it helps the 1st to 2nd gear shifting. I will say that overall I am happy with the performance of this JDM, which again I put in the 2000 Accord SE which at 140,000 was shifting erratically. As for the '99 V6 and the rebuilt unit, I am still considering replacing switches and solenoids, but was hoping to get some feedback from others who've done similar.
I haven't heard of the need for solenoids and pressure switches on the 4-Speed automatics from the 6th Gen Accords; not saying swapping them won't cure your issue. Who rebuilt the V6 transmission? I might be inclined to make a warranty claim.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?