General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks shipo. Well, you're more familiar than me, I'm quite sure. And I'm still not certain that all of us are certain what the problems are with these transmissions that "fail". Too much heat? Clogged filters? Poor maintenance/failure to drain and replace approved fluid? I do know that my V6 failed at 150K and my 4-cyl at 225K. But the 4-cyl registered the 2nd and 3rd clutch failure years ago, and I'd get waivers from DMV since it still drove well. Then it stopped shifting. Same week that the V6 did. (That's a different 4-cyl, a '99 LX, not the SE). So, yeah, I may misunderstand the whole issue, and replacing these sensors and switches may be useless is it's the fluid filtration and distrubution, etc., which is the actual issue. So I'll slap this new switch on the SE and let you know. As for the rebuilt V6, there was no warranty issued because I installed it myself, and warranty required a mechanic for install.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99 qball
Thanks shipo. Well, you're more familiar than me, I'm quite sure. And I'm still not certain that all of us are certain what the problems are with these transmissions that "fail". Too much heat? Clogged filters? Poor maintenance/failure to drain and replace approved fluid? I do know that my V6 failed at 150K and my 4-cyl at 225K. But the 4-cyl registered the 2nd and 3rd clutch failure years ago, and I'd get waivers from DMV since it still drove well. Then it stopped shifting. Same week that the V6 did. (That's a different 4-cyl, a '99 LX, not the SE). So, yeah, I may misunderstand the whole issue, and replacing these sensors and switches may be useless is it's the fluid filtration and distrubution, etc., which is the actual issue. So I'll slap this new switch on the SE and let you know. As for the rebuilt V6, there was no warranty issued because I installed it myself, and warranty required a mechanic for install.
Wow, that sucks about the warranty. I bought a remanufactured transmission from Autozone a few years ago for a car (not a Honda) which I installed and which suffered a failure 18 months later. Autozone replaced the transmission with no argument.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, it's not the end of the world. This was from a shop in Sacramento, and he would probably work with me if I press it. Truth told, I'm more interested in rebuilding the one I removed; that's the V6 big one, but I've got the 4 cyl also since neither involved a core charge. More than that, though, I'm becoming more and more interested in swapping to a manual; I drove a '95 yesterday with a manual, and I really enjoyed it.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it's not the end of the world. This was from a shop in Sacramento, and he would probably work with me if I press it. Truth told, I'm more interested in rebuilding the one I removed; that's the V6 big one, but I've got the 4 cyl also since neither involved a core charge. More than that, though, I'm becoming more and more interested in swapping to a manual; I drove a '95 yesterday with a manual, and I really enjoyed it.
I suppose if you're up for the work, then by all means. That said, it will cost far-far less to simply sell your car and buy an otherwise identical car built from the factory with a manual transmission. Quite honestly, the transmission swap is the easiest part of a conversion, dealing with the clutch and shifter linkages, the console changes, and of course the ECU changes are where these types of projects typically go south.

Were I in your shoes, I'd spend the time rebuilding the two spare automatics you have; sell one of the cars, and buy a 5MT (or a Gen 7 Accord with the 6MT, or even go for broke and buy a Gen 3 TL with the 6MT and LSD).

Old 05-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
I suppose if you're up for the work, then by all means. That said, it will cost far-far less to simply sell your car and buy an otherwise identical car built from the factory with a manual transmission. Quite honestly, the transmission swap is the easiest part of a conversion, dealing with the clutch and shifter linkages, the console changes, and of course the ECU changes are where these types of projects typically go south.

Were I in your shoes, I'd spend the time rebuilding the two spare automatics you have; sell one of the cars, and buy a 5MT (or a Gen 7 Accord with the 6MT, or even go for broke and buy a Gen 3 TL with the 6MT and LSD).
Agreed. Between the linkages and the ECU, the trans swap is easy. The linkages would have to come from a MT car, and you need all of the bits and pieces. The ECU will be the hard part to find, as you'd also need the chipped key to go with it, due to the immobilizer circuit in the ECU.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Toecutter, not to confuse you, but yes this replies to your comment from some months ago. Speaking of the immobilizer: it's getting hard to turn the key in my 4 cyl,, so I grabbed a key/ign switch assembly at the junkyard (with keys). 3 of them actually, Then I lost the keys to my 6-cyl. Now I realize (for either of these vehicles): this ain't doing me any good because I've removed the original assbly with immobilizer. Question: can I just swap original immobilizer onto the new asbly? Or next time at the junkyard should I be also grabbing the ecu with the assembly? or, should I disassemble the assembly and extract the key cylinder only and rebuild the original so the immobilizer is recognized by the ecu? Or is it key/immobilizer/ecu package deal, and if I want to avoid buying a key I need a key, assembly, and ecu that all know each other. I have no problem disassembling whatever is needed at the junkyard. And they're 40% off next week;last time they did that there were 23 6th gen accords there. Thanks, sorry if that's confusing.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if this answers part of your questions, but that thing around the ignition lock cylinder isn't the immobilizer. It's just an antenna to read the RFID chip in your key. The smarts behind the immobilizer is in the PCM (engine computer). You can swap the antenna all you want, but it's the PCM that has to recognize and accept the key.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sure does, Jim, thank you. And I mean PCM, don't I? It sounds like I should stop losing my keys. But what about the worn out ignition/key action in my 4 cyl? Is this actually the cylinder that has worn out or the key?

Old 11-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sure does, Jim, thank you. And I mean PCM, don't I? It sounds like I should stop losing my keys. But what about the worn out ignition/key action in my 4 cyl? Is this actually the cylinder that has worn out or the key?
If you have a worn out key/cylinder combination which kinda-sorta works, go to a locksmith; they can refresh the cylinder and cut you a new key.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks shipo

Quick Reply: 6th Gen Accord Tranny: Improve JDM success?