General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

84 Accord gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
jkp
Unregistered
Default 84 Accord gas mileage

I've been tracking my fuel economy for some time now,....over the years I get a consistently about 5 mpg lower in the colder winter months than in the hot summer months.....spring and fall is pretty much the same...in other words...definitely a temperature sensitive engine. It runs very well....I have about 275k on the engine. I keep it tuned up myself....which leads me to believe that there is something that I am overlooking in my maintainance practices....Any smart Honda types have any ideas ?
Thanks

Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
ElectricTwilight
Unregistered
Default RE: 84 Accord gas mileage

Sounds normal to me..Im not quite sure what your question is maybe?

Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 AM

I don't think that you have overlooked anything. Winter fuel is a different formulation than summer and MPG suffers. Also the defroster is used often in winter and that turns on the AC compressor in most cars which lowers mileage. Congrats on keeping it in top shape for so many miles.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:39 PM
jkp
Unregistered

Interesting......never heard that your winter mileage should suffer just because.....I don't use the AC compressor,...its been out of action for a few years. ....It seems more likely to me that it may be a carburetor problem....like perhaps the choke butterfly is not operating properly causing the engine to ingest and burn a richer mixture.....anyone else have any ideas.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:54 PM

You could indeed be correct about the carb/choke. It is not unusual for winter mileage to drop but 5 MPG IS a bit much I admit.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM

I have this problem, too.

I am the original owner of a 1996 Honda Accord. For the first approx. 10 years, I got consistent gas mileage year round. Now, I get about 28 mpg in the summer months and Nov-April it goes down to 23-24 mpg.

Would love to know why.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Winter gasoline formulations have changed in many parts of the country since you bought your 1996 Accord.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 AM

Have these winter gasoline formulation changes negatively affected other people's MPGs? If yes, is this a conspiracy to make us all pay more for gas?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, they are widely known to reduce fuel economy, typically by less than 5%; that said, the reformulated fuel is also widely known to reduce the emissions coming out of the tail pipe by more than that. I haven't noticed the reformulated fuel affecting the price.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
I haven't noticed the reformulated fuel affecting the price.
Besides they use the "shut down" to switch the formula as a way to charge more. The "traders" will use almost anything for a few pennies, gas prices in some places around here have gone up .08 in one day because of the hurricane in TX right now

I hope everyone in the TX area is staying safe

Quick Reply: 84 Accord gas mileage