General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Accord LE issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Greenweenie
Unregistered
Default 86 Accord LE issues

Hello Everyone and it's nice to find a 1st class forum for Honda Accord Enthusiast!

I recently took ownership of a 86 Honda Accord LE that had one owner my grandparents.
The car has 226,000 miles on it and they took good care of it while in their hands. Now that I have the car it seems that it is starting to nickle and dime me somewhat [:'(].

The first issue is and the biggest is when I am just cruising around town or highway it will just cut off on me for no apparent reason. I will let it sit for a few minutes and then I will crank it up and be back on my way once again. Why is it doing this?

Second issue is I cannot let it run low on fuel..I don't dare let it get below a quarter of tank or I run the risk of not being able to get it started especially in cold weather. Is their any reason for this?

I know this car is not fuel injection so what should I be looking for. Where is the fuel pump located is it in the gas tank and how about the fuel filter I cannot seem to point it out on my own. I have only had american cars till now. I do not have one of those do it yourself Chilton books yet are their any good online rescources I can look at till I get one that might help me till then.

Thanks for your help and suggestions...a poor college student.

Greenweenie

Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 86 Accord LE issues

fuel pump is in the tank, there is an access hole in the trunk , the left side , pull up the trunk carpet , you will see 2 round silver metal covers,, the 1 on the driver side is the fuel pump , lift up cover , it just sticks on, remove all the 10mm nuts and unplug the connector, disconnect fuel line and pull up the pump, look at the sock if it looks kind of black replace pump...........
fuel filter there are 2 the main filter is on the left lower side of fuel tank next to the tire, the aux fuel filter under the hood on the fuel hose, close to the brake master cylinder ....