General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Accord - no fuel pump power - won't start - intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 PM
davidl
Unregistered
Default 87 Accord - no fuel pump power - won't start - intermittent

My 78 year Mom is driving a 1987 Accord LX with carburetor.

The problem is an intermittent won't start problem. We've tracked it down to no fuel in the carburetor. The fuel pump is not powering up. We've put 2 fuel pumps in the car thinking that was the problem. And it solved the problem for a couple of months, but all at once, it goes in to a no-start mode and stays that way. When I say no-start, I mean the engine is turning over fine, but there's no gas getting to the carb, so the engine won't fire.

Could we be moving a bad wire/connection at the fuel pump when we replace the pump...so the pump works for a while, then eventually loses contact/connection?

We also replaced the fuel pump relay. I know the carb version doesn't have a true fuel relay like the FI version but there is something called a fuel pump relay and we replaced that.

We can't have my Mom stranded anymore and this is driving us crazy! Any ideas are appreciated.

I've truly looked in the forum and all over the internet and can't find any substantial info dealing with this.

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 87 Accord - no fuel pump power - won't start - intermittent

I dont know if the common main-relay problem applies to carburated cars, but its cracked solder joints in the relay. Are you good with a soldering iron? Open the case of the relay,& check the soldering on the circuit board.

Otherwise, your idea about flexing the wires sounds good. Its just tedious checking for voltage as you play with the wiring harness. Also look for loose/dirty/corroded pins in wiring harness plugs.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well there is also a fuel filter that could be plugged up; a simple test light check would prove if power is getting to the fuel pump.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when car does not start, chk to see if you are getting power ( around 12 volts ) at the fuel pump Yellow wire and ground at the Black wire,, remove the access cover from the trunk ,,( if you replaced the pump already you know where it is )...make sure that there is a good connection at the pump connector

You need to have someone crank the car and if when starting it ,, just with the key on you will get no input .......IF you get power and ground and no fuel,, could be a bad pump..by the way did you install a Honda pump ?? Also i would chk and or replace BOTH fuel filters ,, the 1 by the tank little plastic 1 and the aux filter in the carb inlet hose ...

If no power at yellow wire , could be a bad fuel pump relay, bad wiring, poor connection at the fuse box ..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
davidl
Unregistered

Thanks for the help. We'll give the suggestions a try.