General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

88 Accord idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Sam22
Unregistered
Default 88 Accord idle issues

hey this is my first post here, I'm not sure if this has come up before but i didn't find anything so here it goes. Oh, and before anyone says it, yes i know this car is 20 years old so i should just let it go but I kinda like the car and would like to try and fix it..anyways the problem:

My car (1988 Accord LXi) has idle issues when I come to a red light or stop sign or something. I'll be parked and the rpms' just drop almost to zero and just before the car stalls the rpms go back up to normal. Then, when I'm ready to drive i give the car gas and the rpms drop down again and the car really stuggles to accecerate but then runs reasonably well once you get going. I've replaced the EGR valve and the sparkplugs but that didn't help. I'm wondering if maybe its a oxygen sensor. Anyways, has anyone else had this problem or any ideas how I can fix it? Thanks a lot!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Problem description suggests throttle plate and throttle bore around plate need good cleaning. Clean w/ throttle body cleaner and old toothbrush. Polish w/ paper towel.

Also Idle Air Control Valve Control Valve (IACV) may be dirty and sticking, or failed. Check IACV and clean if solenoid valve works.

good luck

Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Sam22
Unregistered

hey thanks...i'll give that a shot..also I forgot to mention that sometimes the car won't start. It doesn't really seem to matter if its hot or cold, sometimes it will just turn over but not start, then other times it will fire up the first try. Also the CEL has come on, but it only comes on for a little, then when i shut the car off it usually doesn't come back on so i haven't been able to have it scanned. Anyways thanks again!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

You can not have the car scanned anyway.
From the rear floor board look under the drivers seat for the ECU.
There should be a plastic 'door' on the cover.
Open it up then turn on the key and count the blinks to recover the code.

You might want to check the vacum advances on the dist. be sure they hold vacum.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM

You might want to have the exhaust checked as well make sure you have a good clean exhaust Car won't run if the exhaust gasses aren't getting out either folks

Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Sam22
Unregistered

great thanks for all the advice...Once i see the the blinks from the ECU how do i know what code it is? Is there a list or something anywhere? Thanks again

Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Sam22
Unregistered

Oh, and another thing it likes to do is not start for whatever reason. It only does this rarely but it does happen. it will turn over fine but just wont start...also sometimes when it's idling in park the RPM's will loop up and down, but then it will stop when i put it in gear. So I dont know if this is related or its just my old car completely falling apart! THanks again for the help!