General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Accord LX Idle speed over revving

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Default 89 Accord LX Idle speed over revving

Im back again, a odd problem possibly car specific... I few years back due to random stall outs in the colder months i had my cars idle speed increased to prevent said issues but now after all these years after the car is running for 10-15 mins it idles extremely high like 2.5k RPM seems really weird to me and im not sure if its effecting my engine. On a side note after said car is running for the alloted time there is a faint bit of smoke ive noticed coming from the car, note i cannot smell anything and it doesnt have a definative color to it that ive noticed since it is not a very large ammount of smoke. It doesnt continue if the car is shut off and hood up either so im not sure about that but it seems like it would go hand in hand with the main issue.

I could use some advice on what to do in this situation, ive thought about turning the idle speed back down to whatever the factory setting is....but ive never done that and would need insight, ergo why im here!

Thanks

Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest downloading the factory service manual. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech forum. Open online manuals thread. The honda-tech link has an 86-89 manual that will give you the specifics on setting the base idle.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Also be sure the choke is opening all the way when the car is warmed up.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Well i got the manual and such and am gonna try to reset the idle speed, didnt seem like i should need anything fancy in the tool department and the car has the tach built in. I will double check the carb and make sure the butterfly valve is opening i think you can see that from inside the air filter without too much work.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Just wanted to revisit this issue since i believe it pertains to the carburetor in part due to there being a gas leak and am still unable to bring idle speeds down after 10mins of running. A local engine shop seems to also think the carburetor is a bust...that being said i've been looking at replacing it and then i wondered how hard and is it a good idea to swap to EFI from carb on an 89' A20A1 w/ Manual Transmission.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you will need a donar car - ecu, intake, fuel lines, fuel pump, injector box, sensors, exhaust manifold, ect.

Can it be done, sure......cost will be more than replacing the carb IMHO.

So where is the gas leak.........is the choke working?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 PM

At 24 years old, and unknown miles, I'd imagine that carb was long overdue for an rebuild. You'll probably find several worn out parts, bad springs, etc if you decide to dive into it. Be prepared, carbs are not for the faint of heart.

Swapping to FI will be cost prohibitive. Unless you have some attachment to that car that would make you want to spend far more than it's worth to keep it, find a used carb and hope for the best if you fail at a rebuild.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM

@POORMAN212 i agree ive looked into swapping to EFI and its just not something i can really afford to get into at this time and its honesty not how i want to restore the car. that being said ive ordered a weber performance carb to replace on the engine. the current carb is leaking from the diaphram area and the idle spring i believe is shot since it wont come down from 2-3k RPM after running for 10+ minutes.

@stang99x they may not be for the faint of heart but its on the road of repairing this awesome car for myself, so like it or not im game. though replacing the carb i think is the route im going to shoot for rather than refurbishing the one i have since i cant sonic clean or really do the neccesary things to bring it back 24 years. not sure why but changing out the vaccumm hoses really scares me to be honest.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Its really funny, how 30 years ago the majority of "experts" were saying how anyone can rebuild a carburator, but nobody will be able to work on fuel-injection system because they were "so complicated"...

Old 07-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, now it is hard to find anyone that works on carbs.

It's to the point I haven't worked on one in so long that I'm forgetting more and more.

OP - the webber is a popular replacement on these so you should be good to go.

As ya'll know, I'm a big fan of the 3rd gens . Filled up the 89 LXi coupe the other day, 33.58 mpg

Quick Reply: 89 Accord LX Idle speed over revving