General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 Accord won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
avbunyan
Unregistered
Default 89 Accord won't start when hot

89 Accord - 2.0 - 5 spd - new battery, plugs, wires, starter tc. now won't start after driving a while - like going to work (15 miles) - once it cools down after 5 or six hours it starts but if I have to make stops it is real iffy! Engine turns over and over - just doesn't catch.

Help!

Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 89 Accord won't start when hot

Is your check engine light on at all? You can short the service connector and count the flashes on the led on the ECU (your check engine light doesn't flash codes like the 90-97 accords). I can give you better directions if you don't know how to do this.

A no-start occurs either from a lack of fuel, spark, air. Since your car does run, the compression and the timing belt should be fine.

For air, make sure that air filter is in good shape an not clogged up. Hitting the gas pedal will open the throttle body to let air in.

Here is a quick and simple test for the fuel pump.

When you turn the key to the II position, listen for the fuel pump to turn on. It happens during the relay clicks. Listen carefully, because the fuel pump has a faint buzz sound that lasts for a couple of seconds to boost the fuel pressure to the rail. It comes from the trunk area. You may need someone to turn the key and listen at the gas cap to hear it.

When the car is not starting try to listen for the fuel pump. If you hear it, then the fuel pump is getting power. This doesn't verify that the pump is getting the proper pressure.

As for testing the spark, use an old spark plug and pull the spark plug wire off of the new plug. Ground the threaded part of the plug to the engine block and have someone try to start the car. You should see a spark. If you don't see a spark, then we will give you more information.

A lot of this info is on the http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html under starting/running problems.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
avbunyan
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

A lot of this info is on the http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html under starting/running problems.
Thanks for your time - I will do what I can and then turn over to my mechanic - I'll let you know

BTW - some say could be the main relay or ECT valve? And the check engine light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

That check engine light will help pinpoint the problem. Is your a LX, DX, LXi, or SEi? and how many doors (2, 3, 4)?

This site http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html shows the basics of getting that engine code. All you will need is a thin paper clip to do this test.

I think that your connector under the passenger dash (near the glove box hinge) will be brown. It should have two wires going into it and plug into a dummy connector.

Your check engine light will not flash like it does for th 94 accord. You will have to count the flashes from the light on the ECU. If you tell me the model, I can find out where the ECU is located.

Post that code on here and we will give you a better idea of what the problem(s) are.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
gojuice
Unregistered

Couldn't it be a simple ignition module going bad? As I've been told they start to overheat and just stop functioning, when it cools it works fine until it gets to hot again.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 PM
avbunyan
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

That check engine light will help pinpoint the problem. Is your a LX, DX, LXi, or SEi? and how many doors (2, 3, 4)?
Thanks - it is at my mechanic's but it is a 4 dr and I think the LX series.