General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 honda accord starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 89 honda accord starting problems

Hello out there!! Have a great running 89 Honda...one issue kept us from completing the sale of this car. One owner car with regular maintenance. After the car runs for a while...it will sputter...or it will quit...and then not start for quite some time....After selling the car...the buyer drove off and when almost home it died and he called with same problem....Of course he no longer wanted the vehicle...and we left the car sit overnight...went in the morning to have the vehicle start back up and run great...back to square one...I believe it is in the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself...where is the relay and how can I replace it....I looked and can't seem to find it. thanks much

Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I got your PM, but it is better to use the forum so more people can help.

Before you try to start the car, turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds. The buzzing sound turns on when the check engine light does the bulb check. If that sound is missing when the car is not starting, then you either have a problem with the main fuel relay, the fuel pump, or possibly the wiring.

You may want to test for power at the electrical connector in the trunk. We can provide more details if you like.

Copy and paste the link below for a site showing the main relay location. The 86-89 location is shown towards the bottom of the page.

Honda Accord Main Relay Location

Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default thanks

the sound at the 11 position is no longer present...it was this morning and it is now not there...just a clicking noise....is this a relay problem? How do I check for power at the fuel pump?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default right page

where is the forum page? is this it....this is a great site...just want to make sure I am posting on the right page...thanks for the link...this helps although changing the main relay looks pretty tedious and difficult to get at....concerned about having something short out....will look into getting a main relay....another site also mentioned something about the ignition control module (ICM) being bad...is this also possible?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

What trim level is this, or another way...is it Fuel Injected or Carb'd?

Either way the fuel pump on these is stupid easy to get to. In the truck, pull the carpet back, fold the rear seat down will help get the carpet out of the way. There is a "panel" almost under the left/drivers rear speaker. Pry it up - just kind of glued down with black gum. From there you will see the pump.....check for voltage at the two pin connector.

You are in the right place.

EDIT: Just to be sure...the "stupid easy" was towards the car not any person....be glad the newer ones, you have all kinds of issues getting to the pump....one thing I wish Honda would bring back

Last edited by poorman212; 01-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

There should be an electrical connector in the trunk of the car that has three wires. It should be near the back seat. One of the wires should be yellow. Check that you are getting 12V to that wire for about 2 seconds when you turn the key to the II position.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default check for power

What do I use to check for power to the fuel pump....a voltmeter that I get at autozone? I am kind of mechanically inclined...I have already lifted the seat and the fuel pump lid and can see the wire connector on the fuel pump...what do I attach to this yellow wire to check for power?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, use a voltmeter you can get from autozone, walmart, radioshak, harborfreight, anyplace like that.

Set to measure DC-VOLTS.
Red probe goes to that yellow wire on the car side of the connector.
Black probe goes to a good solid piece of metal structure on the car.
You want the meter to say about 12 volts, for 2 seconds after you turn the key ON.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default new problem....

Have the humming noise from fuel pump...car fired up....but did not start.
I took spark plugs out to check for gas or a fouled plug...all looked good. They are pretty new NGK plugs...no foulness...the #4 plug is not seeding right and will not go in all the way (about 5 turns and it is tight)....now what. Yuk!!! Can I get a self tapper at Auto Zone.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Check the threads on the spark plug #4 to see if they are messed up. You might want to try some antiseize or a very light coating of oil on the plug threads. You do not want to cross thread the spark plug.

To avoid confusion, lets get some terminology straight. When you turn the key to the start position, the starter turns the engine. When the car fires up, is when you release the key, because the engine is running. It sounds like the starter is turning the engine, but the engine is not firing up, is that right?

If you hear the humming noise from the fuel pump, and the car did not fire up, then your main relay is likely working. To check for voltage, just touch the red lead on the volt meter to the yellow pin and the black volt meter lead to ground. For ground, find a bare metal bolt. There should be a ground bolt near that cover in your trunk that you can use. You may want to unbolt that ground and clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush.

You may want to pick up a can of starting fluid at the parts store. You will have to remove the big hose to the throttle body. Have and assistant try to start the car with the gas pedal pushed down. Spray the starting fluid in there. See if the engine will run (it could be poorly) while you spray starting fluid into the intake.

Do you have access to a timing light?

You may need an assistant

Quick Reply: 89 honda accord starting problems