General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Honda questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Default 89 Honda questions

Hey guys. My son has an '89 Honda Accord LXi 2 door with 2.0 liter eng. He just had a minor accident. Not a lot of damage, but when we tried to get the car to start, it would turn over, but not start. Checked spark from coil and at distributor. Doesnt seem to be any spark, so we replaced the coil. Still wont start. Could it be the ignition module? Have any ideas what it could be? Im at a loss.

Many thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

There are a few things it could be. Got pic's of the damage or a better description of where it is....this may lead to "things" in that area that might be bad....EDIT, example if the right/pass fender area was damaged around the wheel opening then something with the underhood fuse panel my be going on.

Next, do you have a volt meter or test light to do some additional tests?

Last edited by poorman212; 12-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM

I do have a test light, just dont know where to start. there was no damage to the fenders, it was just in the front of the car. Trailer hitch did most of the damage. I wasnt sure if there was a reset switch on that model car, and havent found one.

thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

There is not a reset for these.

I'm wanting to check for voltage to the dist as a start.....key on, do you have voltage to the blk/yel wire going to the dist?

Again pics might help.....check all of the fuses in the under hood fuse panel.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Okay, so far we replaced the coil, no spark. Got an igniter and a new ignition module. The car still turns over, and we have spark, but it only appears to have a spark at the initial key turn. There is spark to the distributor, but only at the initial key turn and it seems to only show a single spark at the #1 plug. But the spark doesnt continue as you continue to turn the motor over.

What could this be? Its like there is spark, but only for a second.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a tec or hit dist? Or another way....was the ICM inside or outside the dist.

Did/do you have voltage as asked?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply,

The distributor is a Tec distributor and the ICM is inside the distributor.

Yes we have plenty of voltage.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but the TEC dist have the ICM/Ignitor on the outside of the dist? 1.5 X 1 "thing" on the outside of the dist held on/down by two screws. I just want to be sure as testing is different.

Is this a DX/LX or LXi? Carb or Fuel Injected?

Anyway, all of this started "after" an accident. Please verify all of the fuses are good...under hood and under dash.

Attached Thumbnails 89 Honda questions-3rd-gen-tec-dist-icm_igniter.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM

The control module is on the inside of the distributor, the igniter is on the outside. Both are new. The model is an LXi fuel injected.

All fuses have been checked and are all good, both under dash and hood.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, lost/confused in terms....what you call the control module I call the pick up module....sorry about that.

Key on, measure the voltage on the A and B terminals of the coil.

Also verify that the fuel pump is "priming" when the key it turned to on/pos II - should run for about two seconds.

Attached Thumbnails 89 Honda questions-3rd-gen-coil-wires.jpg  

Quick Reply: 89 Honda questions