General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 accord ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Default 90 accord ECU help

I have a 90 accord LX with a stalling out issue and I have diagnosed to this point it is the ECU. Im gonna go to the yard today and find a new/used ECU. I have read on the forum, I can use 90-93, dx or lx or ex... Im sure Ill find an LX, and a 90 at that, just like my car this place has hundreds... My question is this.... Does anyone have some tips on what to look for in a used ECU... Newer car, low mileage, etc.. other than this? Some tips of the trade... and just to be sure how can I verify before I buy it it is the correct one.. codes on ecu box? WHat will they be? Ill be leaving around 1 for junk yard, Thanks!!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would get the old part number off of your current ECU and try to match. There may be some X-over options, but I've never seen anything that looks definitive.

Check car-part.com for used units matching your part number and near your zip code.

good luck

Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't the 90 ECU have just a blinking light for codes and the later models (91-93) actually made the CEL on the dash blink codes...so again, def try to get one with the same codes as the old one.
Also, are you positve it is the ECU. I think I saw a post from you in another thread. The car is shutting off from time to time...correct? (ign switch, icm, coil-?)

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM

yea... just from what I have read, Ive diagnosed it to be the ecu... i have moved the key all around in the ignition and no issue, it actually is shiny and tight, with a bright glowing ring, looks new, and last night I did cap, rotor, and coil inside my clean distributor. I am in the process now of taking out the ecu... I dont see a place on it anywhere, yet, that has blinking lights on it... The car shuts off when its warm, and when I jump circuit to read codes, the CEL just stays lit... I dont know what the ICM is...

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Ignition Control Mod... Unsure how to test that or where it is... but it starts fine, Im not sure that would be my issue, but I dont know for sure... I was orig getting a code 15.. so rebuilt half the distrib, all wires tight, and clean, no oil in it.. the parts actually looked good that came out of it... I dont have a volt meter to test voltage however... I reset ECU.. and now the CEL just stays lit... so im def just assuming its ECU...

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

The ignition control module aka igniter is inside the distributor. Refer to this link:

techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Supper Moderator

you can use any 90-93 accord ecu. But make sure you check the engine codes that is stamped on the engine. B/c if it's a f22a6 engine DON"T use the ecu UNLESS you snag the f22a6 cam along with it. The a6 cam is more aggressive than the a1/a4 cam.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM

REDBULL1 - replaced ICM last night... brand new... also, all 3 sensors under distrib, and some other small items..hoses.. cap, rotor, some better looking bolts...The car ran just as well, and still does now before I replaced anything last night.. So I think it was all a waste, but at least its new... I found the light on the ECU, it lights up when the car is started, and when you turn the key to acc position... does not blink anything... I jumped the circuit to test, and the CEL just stays lit...

G22CD5, yea Im gonna get exact year, make and model... not gonna mess around... I have 3 yards near me... all have like 500 accords each.... its accord graveyard paradise... However cant find a damn heater ****... or a radio<that works>.. gonna go aftermarket I guess, but I liked the idea of this little thing bone stock...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Any other things I can check or do to test issues... before I buy ECU???

Old 01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Supper Moderator

all the 90-93 ecus are the same except for the a6 engine. So it won't matter if it’s your year and model or not. Just check the engine code and snag yourself a ecu instead of running around spending money on gas when the ecu you need will prob. be at the JY you 1st go to if you have so many accords in your JY's. Also make sure you snag a auto ecu if your car is auto and a 5seed ecu if your 5speed.

Have you tried to check your codes? When the car was running did you have a CEL?

Quick Reply: 90 accord ECU help