General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 PM

g22c5d - Yea.. I have no codes now, CEL stays lit when service wires are bridged... The CEL will come on if I start her and let her run maybe 30 mins.. then It will shut off and then the CEL comes on. It originally had a code 15... so I replaced ICM and cap and rotor and the distrib was clean, and wires tight.... code went away... but like I said the CEL will just stay lit now...

Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM

OK... so I found 2 ECU's both same engine, both LX 4dr autos... one was a 92, and one was the exact same as mine, a 90. I have tried them both.... and they have not fixed me issue... After 15 min running... she cut off.. and the CEL came on again... I bridged the service wires to read for a code, and the CEL just stayed ON, just like old ECU. So I swaper it for the other one I bought. Same issue... Now im getting lost... if the CEL just stays on I was assuming that meant bad ECU's.. It cant be that all 3 ECU's are bad... so where should I look next??? Anybody please...!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

does the car not start after it stalls? Can you get the car to stall while running by shaking the key?

Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM

it does not start again untill the cel goes off... 5 mins to 10... and NO moving/jigglin the key does nothing.. ignition is tight, looks somewhat new...

Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Didn't the 90 ECU have just a blinking light for codes and the later models (91-93) actually made the CEL on the dash blink codes...so again, def try to get one with the same codes as the old one.
Also, are you positve it is the ECU. I think I saw a post from you in another thread. The car is shutting off from time to time...correct? (ign switch, icm, coil-?)
I think he is right ^^^^
Your 1990 ecu should have a light that will blink your codes. Not by reading the CEL blinks. I wanna say its only like that for the 90 accords.
So maybe thas why the CEL stays on.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=35962

Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM

My original ECU didnt blink any codes... The next ecu out of 90 lx, dosent blink any codes, and the third ecu is out of 92 lx, it dosent have a light...

before i replaced ignition coil, and rotor, and cap... I did get a code 15. after replacements went in, now have just lit cel...

doing the same, running the same now as before i replaced the icm and other parts in the distrib

Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On Accords from 90-97 at least, the CEL stays on when the keyswitch is turned to On (fuel pump runs), and turns CEL off when fuel pump cuts off. Are you hearing the fuel pump run when keyswitch is turned to On and CEL is On? If fuel pump is not running, car won't start.

This is an unusual problem, but may be main fuel relay fault.

good luck

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM

i cant say if i even hear the fuel pump when it does start and run... right now, its been sitting since 5 when i last had it running... it will start up now and run fine.. cel is on 3 seconds, and goes off... im gonna go outside and start it, see if i can hear it run... ill let it cut off, and then try again and see if i can hear fuel pump when cel stays lit... thx.. brb

Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM

so.. i hear the pump I think... right as the cel goes off 3 seconds.. you hear under the dash like a little bump.. a slight tap.. sounds like a relay. So i let it get warm... and when it cut off, and the cel stayed on, i tested it again.. and i heard the same little bump... so it sounds the same when its running good, and right after it cuts off. Im pretty sure I hear the relay clicking, before it acts up, and even after the cel stays on...

Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

The sound from the fuel pump comes from the back seat area while the check engine light is on for three seconds

Quick Reply: 90 accord ECU help