General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord EX automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Default 90 accord EX automatic transmission

I just removed and replaced my bro in laws automatic transmission in his 1990 Honda Accord EX . Everything went smooth we replaced the distributor and starter as well as the battery. Turned the key and click, more like clunk starter trying to engage but nothing. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what it could be with no diagnostic tools. Anyone who could provide some info please help me out. If it helps when I turn key off after the clunk of non start the fan turns on. All lights work tranny never in a bind, moves freely in neutral. :confused :

Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Is it a big heavy klunk when you try to start? Like the starter is running against a crankshaft that won't turn? Or is it like a heavy solenoid sound?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM

I guess it could be solenoid? The best I can describe it is like if a piece of metal or starter pin is being thrown at or slidding into a solid peice of metal not engaging. The car has sat for 3 years any reason to think pistons stuck. I took plugs out and dropped a couple drops of Zmax onto the pistons lastnight to see. I'll be working on it again all day.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could be starter problem, but could also be a disconnected ground strap. Suggest checking all ground straps from body to engine. Battery connects to body and starter depends on ground return path from starter-engine-body-battery.

If it's starter solenoid fault, sometime repeated hammering will cause connection to be good enough to cause starter to engage/start engine.

I would also suggest putting small amount of oil in each cylinder and turn engine over by hand w/ 19mm deep socket on crankshaft pulley bolt.

Check crankshaft/camshaft timing is still in order!

good luck

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Well I changed starter out dropped zmax oil on the cylinders, I can't get engine to spin freely buy crankshaft with wrench or sockets. Then my bro in law tells me he went and got an engine bay wirring harness and it may not be out of the same year, or it may be from a 5 speed. The guy has good intentions but don't get it. 90 & 91 used 6 pin connects and 92 93 used 8 pin connects standard wirning harness would be an incomplete circuit causing non start, so I'll try a new wirring harness?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

When you replaced the trans, did the converter "seat" all the way? So with the plugs out of the car, you can't spin the engine by the crank bolt (counter clockwise)?

If you are getting voltage to the starter.....don't worry with the harness just yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM

I got the starter and fan connections crossed fixed that starter doing the same thing. I will take plugs out and try to turn engine haven't tried that yet. I looked at the book lastnight and I may not have lined up my mark on driveplate with paint/mark on torque converter causing bind. I thought I seated the torque converter but will loosen everything up on it today and see what the problem is. Voltage good just a bind, although I ihaven't heard fuel pump turn on or cycle so wondering if I got no fuel even though thank is half full

Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Lets get the motor to the point where you can spin it (I find it easier with the plugs out so you are not fighting compression) by the crank bolt first.

Several ideas on the other things but if the motor is bad (?) then why?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

K gonna go over lossen a few tranny bolts take out plugs and see if I can get motor to spin. It did spin before I tightend the tranny so I think if I line up the drive plate on the converter right it should fire. If all else fails I may have to take tranny back out but you are right in getting motor to spin freely first, and I really appreciate your help, greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

The trans that you put in, did it come with the converter? Or did you have to swap/use your/his old one?

Quick Reply: 90 accord EX automatic transmission